He's cycling!

DS (who just turned 4) is cycling like a pro now, after only a few days! We had taken off the pedals and training wheels before. We put the pedals back 3 days ago, and he was able to cycle, start and stop from day 1! In 3 days he’s gotten faster and more confident. We are so proud!

Wow! Congratulations.

wow! that’s great. how did you train him

We removed the pedals and training wheels, so it becomes a balance bike. This way he learns to balance first. He starts with just “walking” the bike, then going faster and eventually learns to rest his feet on the bike while navigating the turns. Once we saw that, we add the pedals, and the rest is a piece of cake!

thanks and karma for the tip
I was looking at balance bikes, but seemed too much to buy both, so we settled for a regular bike for Christmas gift. Maybe we’ll do the same with the pedals/training wheels. :slight_smile:

Yes I found the price for a balance bike was just too high, plus it wasn’t available in Singapore. The differences are the balance bikes have a foot rest in the center and are generally smaller and lighter than a regular bike. To reduce weight, we removed the basket and the back seat also. Just make sure any sharp parts are properly covered. It worked out great for us!

karma to you joan!

that was very creative. what did you do though when he was younger and just starting off. i want lo to start moving backwards atleast! on his scooter.
the bugger wont budge. guess he is just not ready

Hi Fatima,

Thanks! Actually when we first removed all the extras, my son was so upset he cried. He wanted the bike just like what his friends have. We convinced him that he needed to learn to balance first. It helped to see other children on balance bikes. He was a little too short for the bike when we first bought it, we had to wait till he’s able to put his feet on the floor. The beauty of this path is that he’s in control from the beginning. He chooses how fast or how slow based on his comfort level. You don’t really need to hold the bike.

My son has a scooter also, he likes it but not as much as his bike. He doesn’t know how to move backwards. I’ve never seem people moving backwards on a scooter so I’m not sure about that.

Joan

Thanks for the tip. I will have to try this with my 5 yo who still needs training wheels - probably from lack of opportunity. Oops.

Make sure you remove the crank, crank shaft, front sprocket, chain, chain guard if any. It’s better to get the guys in the bike shop to remove it if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

im not what exactly those things are. ill ask my husband. maybe someone can make a download of parts of a bicycle or parts of a car

Thanks chongwm, yes all those need to be removed. Ours was removed at the shop.