Help! Starting with a 22-month old!

First of all, I would like to thank the founder/s of this wonderful site that is filled with lots of information that would help me with my quest in teaching my baby with so many things. Thank you! Felicity amazed us here so much! You are great parents, so dedicated to their important roles as parents!
I live in a country where parents dedicated to teaching their babies at so young an age is still quite uncommon. It was quite hard for me to sort of struggle alone with finding ways to teach my baby with as much as I could under my circumstances. Anyhow, my daughter is still much advanced for her age.
I was so excited when I stumbled upon the concept of teaching a baby to read, just a couple of days ago, that I’m determined to teach my daughter even starting later than most of your babies out there.
I have tried to study as much as I could these past few days but I’m hoping some of my questions could be directly answered here. So please help me out.
I have so far made my own flashcards using white paper and red crayon. Since my daughter already has a large number of vocabulary, (she already speaks in sentences sometimes), I have used words from her own vocabulary, especially her favorite words.

1.I’m thinking that flashcards is the way for her to go instead of the multi-sensory approach since she already knows the meaning of the words, and only needs to learn to read them. Right?
2. I’m not sure how many words of those I’ve prepared, I should show to her and how often, and when to proceed with new words.

Any suggestions on how to start with a 22-month old who already talks a lot? Will really appreciate your help. I really really want to start teaching her immediately. I just don’t want to start the wrong way and mess up the whole thing. Thanks!

I’m not the best one to answer your questions, because I’m not the most knowledgeable. I’ve been waiting for others to help you. Many people use Glenn Doman principles, and show about 3 categories (5 flashcards each) 3 x’s per day for 5 days, so each card is shown 15 times. You can do a search for posts regarding “Doman” to get more info. You also might want to read “How to Teach Your Baby to Read” by Glenn Doman. If you can afford the Little Reader software then you can buy their curriculum or just use the free downloads to teach. I would reconsider the multi-sensory approach because the kids enjoy it. Just remember to be consistent (ie try to teach daily) and have fun so your daughter enjoys it. I started with lots of prepared materials myself. I started with Your Baby Can Read at 23 months, then used Little Reader, and only recently began using my own flashcards. I don’t follow any schedule myself and I just do lots of different reading activities nearly every day.

Good Luck, Lori

Hi giftedmommy,
I would like to share with you some of the shichida method and tweedlewink method here with you and hope it helps!

Do go to youtube and search for shichida enerygy ball. Conduct this with your child. This will helps to make your bb stays calm and stressfree during her learning process. Her absorbent mind is open and ready.

Then you can always get a softplush toy and make funny movement infront of your child in different directions, this helps her to has a pair of sharp eagle eye…which is very useful for speedreading and observation.

As for flashcards, we only flashed image. Why? image is for right brain and words are for left brain, this is what the sensei said. You will need to flash the image card in a fast mode whilst saying out aloud what was represented by the image. e.g picture of an apple, you will say aloud apple or even the phonetic song of “a”. Here, we are encourage to flash at least 20-30 cards and slowly increase it to 100-200 cards a/day.
Do lots of singing and finger play with your child. You may sing teh I’m a little teapot and do the fingerplay and dancing with her.
You can also draw a simple maze and get those tiny car or objects to race with your child.

Hi giftedmom
Pls bare in mind, if you are notready or even stressed up, DO NOT conduct any lesson with your child because it is believe that you will transfer this chi to your child and he/she may feels stress up.
Anything that is coducted in a fun way is right brain.
You can always start off with any I love you song…then start the lesson.
Flash the card when your child is eating or drinking milk…or you even can play the math cd at the background you may dance and sing with your child.
Play math dot game with your child. Try to place at least 2-3 dot cards at different place…then say aloud mommy wants 6…then race to the card with 6 dots on it…(of course let your child win once in a while) and then say good job…
As for math you can also do counting with them using house objects…etc.
Pls bare in mind shichida 65 days programs…if your child can follow then it would be great but if cant pls modify it to suits your child. If he/she really doesnt want to see, stop and reintroduce it again. Dont force then your child will be resist to the program.
You can even do the math game SM way…e.g. draw 5 dots in a box…and ask your child if there’s 5 dots nod his/her head if not raise his/her arm. Try to make it fun.

In SM normally if the child guesses incorrect we will say “good try”, and if guess correctly we will say “well done”, good job". Make sure you praise your child for his efforts…not based on the number of correct answer he/she provides.

Am going to share another thing with you today, well you can also play the addition, subtraction and multiplication song at the background while you are playing or during her/his nap.
You can always record your own voice or you may even buy it from the internet. Mine I bought it from shichida center, as for you maybe you can purchase it from this website:
http://www.rightbraineducationshop.com/#audio
Will try to share some of the shichida worksheet with you later…I need time to create it…
Hope this helps

It’s sad how little response I received. It also makes me wonder whether I stated my questions clear or not. :unsure:

Thank you Lori and mmom for sharing those things with me. They’re some helpful info. :slight_smile:

I really would like to use the multi-sensory approach to my daughter especially for words she isn’t familiar with yet, because with the help of images, she would of course know the meaning of the words much better. My concern was with how I should start because my daughter speaks a lot of words already and I want to start teaching her to read. And so I was thinking to use the words she already knows and to show her with the use of cards how they read. After teaching her how to read the words she already knows, then I guess that would be the time to start with new words, with the multi-s approach.

mmom, I’m thinking of sharing those things with my brother who will soon have his first child in a month or so. :slight_smile:

I started using YBCR when my son was 22months, ppt when he was 2.5 years and paper flash cards and little reader at 4. My son knows many words and can speak, but multisensory is one of his favorites. Even though they know the meaning of the word, sometimes showing the picture of the word after it helps cement it in there heads.
Basically for us we do Little Reader in the morning, flashcards in traffic on the way to daycare, tutor at daycare plays with retired flashcards with my son during the day, flashcards in traffic on the way home, then when at home we use little reader as a treat. If he eats his supper, does his ABA homework and a few retired flashcards he gets to do more Little Reader. Then we read regular books and go to bed.
I found mixing new words with kind of familiar words the best. That way it helps build confidents, if its all new words he doesn’t feel like he can get them, but if there a few in the pack he reads, he feels like, “Well if I can read those, I can learn to read these too.”
Hope that helps :slight_smile:

GiftedMommy,

Did you get started yet? I forgot to mention that Brillkids has lots of info regarding how to teaching babies - go to the “Early Education” tab in the menu bar.

If you have trouble finding it, here’s the link specifically for teaching reading: http://www.brillbaby.com/teach-baby/reading.php

I really have trouble giving advice about how to get started because I took the lazy expensive route and used commercial products and didn’t develope my own curriculum or plan. After my daughter had success and was sight reading, then I felt confident enough to branch out on our own. I know Glenn Doman had some reassuring advice - essentially he asserted that as long as you are consistent and make it joyful you can’t go wrong.

At the moment I’m teaching my daughter words from the Fry List. Here’s a link for the first 100 words:
http://www.fishforwords.com/docs/fry_sight_word_list_100_by_5.pdf

I think it might be a bit boring to start with the Fry List, but I thought you might like the link maybe 6 months from now. It took us 6 months to get interested in these high frequency words, and my daughter was about your daughter’s age when we started. My daughter’s favorite word categories haven’t changed much. She has always liked food and animals. She really likes matching games. I spread colorful pictures of food or animals on the floor, and then flash the words. She reads the word outloud and finds the picture. If it is a new word, I read the word outloud and then hand it to her so she can look at it while finding the picture. Of course this doesn’t work for the high frequency words on the Fry List because they are words such as: the, and, it, etc.

Anyway I was just checking to see if you felt supported enough to get started on your own, and to give your thread a bump just in case you need more help.

Good Luck, Lori

Thanks, waterdreamer. Multi-s also proves to be fun even when the kids already know or use the words a lot. You’re such a dedicated parent! Wish I could do that much to my daughter in a day. :slight_smile:

Lori, yes I have actually started already and I did start as I had previously planned, using my own flashcards with baby’s words. Then I downloaded some of the slideshows from the forum and used those too. My baby likes them. Thank you parents.
Thanks for the links. That Fry list was cool. Never heard of that before.
Thanks for the matching game idea. I’d like to try that soon with my daughter.
Thanks a lot Lori for your support. It is so nice of you. :slight_smile: