Help- need tips on pointing to words while reading?

I feel stupid saying this but it seems that whenever I’m pointing to the words (finger gliding under each word separately), I don’t read fluidly at all.

I need help on technique. Are we supposed to glide our finger under sentence and never pick up our finger? Or do we point under a word then pick up our finger and point under the next word? Or do we glide our finger under each word then pick it up and put it down at the beginning of the next word, glide under that word, pick it up and glide under the next word, etc.?

I point to the beginning of each word, glide under it then pick my finger back up and glide under the next one but it makes reading awkward. Maybe I’m not pointing fasting enough? Any tips? Am I even using the right technique?

Thanks, Lucy

You are supposed to let your finger follow the words as you read them. Don’t take your finger off or you will not be able to read normally. Just start at the beginning of the sentence and glide it along as you read the words.

I read faster than my finger follows even though I don’t lift it off thepage, so I read “for enjoyment” at times and other times “for study”.
Nikki, could you, maybe, do a video of how it works for you?

Yes, I read faster than that too, but I just have to read a little slower than normal when I am tracing with my finger. You naturally read slower when reading out loud anyways. I think the rate at which you read out loud and can trace your finger are about the same.