help in languages please

hello

my daughter is 20 months old
iuse little reader to teach her english
my mother language is arabic
how can i teach her both
if she see flash cards about colors in english
should i make ones in arabic or chose another topic?
how can i organize ?
if i want to teach a third language and i don’t know that language ,what shall i do?

ai sometimes let her watch dvd like(first steps-baby einstein ) in english
should i let her watch the same show in other languages like french and spanish??
or she will gain nothing just confusing??

thanks…

Salam sister,

A very similar topic was discusses here:

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/important-q-plzz-need-help/

HTH

thank a lot sister,

very useful link,
but i’m still having some questions about dvds or shows in many languages…is it usefull or what?
if i don’t know the language ,how can my kid learn it…

can you help by giving names of books talking about the subject
i really want to read doman’s book (how to teach your baby to read but i don’t have it in my country and can’t buy it online),
do you have links ,pdf book,about this subject,

i think arabic is harder than english …
i’m thinking of teaching her quran words but i’m afraid that she will not enjoy because i can’t give her pictures for the words of the surah

thanks

:blush:

Salam Doa,

Sorry for this late reply, I lost the direct link to the thread :blush:

Well, it’s hard to answer to your questions. My experience is limited as my son is only 12 months. I am using the same DVDs to teach him languages (Little Pim). I think it helps him to make connections between the different ways the same thing is called. I also use sign language when I talk to him in the 5 languages I speak. However, I don’t understand a word of Chinese and I am trying to teach it. I use LR simplified Chinese, Little Pim and videos on YouTube. We listen to Chinese Radio channels and I have a couple of iPhone apps with flashcards as well. I have no idea if he will speak this language eventually but he already says 3 Chinese words. Surprisingly, he hasn’t said any word in German yet though we read a lot of books and watch LR. You can watch a video in this post showing how I use LR with learning reiforcent here: http://babyalbab.blogspot.com/2011/10/product-review-brillkids-little-reader.html

It’s difficult to conclude whether this works or not. My advice is: do your best, wait and see. Most importantly: خليها على الله

For Doman books, try Google Books, you may get some free pages. I honestly think that Brillkids free ebooks summarize the subject very well. Also try DadDude free Ebook: http://www.larrysanger.org/reading.html
You can also request a free Ebook from Tweedlewink.
I have few other ebooks, you can PM me with your email address so I send them to you in sha’Allah.

Arabic is known to be one of the most difficult languages especially for its grammar. But this is our mother tongue :smiley: so it shouldn’t be that hard. Listening to Qur’an helps a lot because grammar, pronunciation, etc. are perfect. So she will effortlessly learn from it in sha’ Allah. One more thing about Arabic: it’s a phonetic language, i.e: every letter is pronounced, unlike English. It is crucial that she learns the alphabet along with the diacritic signs (shakl).

For flashing Qur’an, try to use different font and background colors. That may keep your child interested.

I hope this helps

BTW, I found an article about the most difficult languages to learn. Arabic is of course on the top of the list lol . Here is what they say about it:

• Arabic: The first challenge is the script. Most of the letters have four different forms, depending on where they stand in the word, also, vowels are not included when writing. The sounds are tough, but the words are tougher. An English-speaking student learning a European language will run across many familiar-looking words, but English-speaking Arabic students are not so lucky. Arabic is a VSO language, which means the verb usually comes before the subject and object. It has a dual number, so nouns and verbs must be learned in singular, dual, and plural. A present-tense verb has thirteen forms. There are three noun cases and two genders.

Source: http://mylanguages.org/difficult_languages.php

thanks sister…
جزاك الله خيرا…

you gave me nice hints and i willl do my best with my kid,

i wish if we can share materials about arabic and quran in this forum,inshallah
:biggrin:

wa iyyaki Sister.

In sha’Allah I will try to produce more materials and share them on the forum.