Help from Doman mom

Hi,

We started showing words to our baby from 3months but it was not consistent as we moved places. Showed about 500 words and then picture cards. My daughter stopped looking at the word cards (english or other language), hence we further reduced the sets. 2 months back we visited GD baby in Singapore and they said to stop the picture cards and do only words cards (as per doman programme) to get her to read.

She;s currently 18 months.I wanted to check on the same and also can I start the reading prog. again with the words already shown or continue it with new set of words. Shall we move on to couplets or do more words till she starts to recognise.

Need your help…I’m in fix now…whether to start it again or continue pic + word cards.

Thanks!

Have you tried using multisensory methods too, like YBCR videos/books, Powerpoint slideshows and LR? Some children respond differently to different methods.

hi ad so how is lawrence and family?

anyway … according the GD they say don’t repeat so start where you last stopped. Ie continue from where you stopped.

I also had the same concern hence i only started picture + words only after the first yr or after the whole set complete. but since your girl is already 18m the advice by GD was to be very very brief but many sessions …

my own girl is also now less inclined to look at words and always want to flip the card to look at the picture … ande sometimes when i ask her which is she … points to both … but i do notice from her eye that she already saw the answer but perhaps she got fed up wth my asking she purposely point to both or to the wrong one sometimes … but then again like i say statistically speaking it isn’t significant to say they know …

But in so saying, at 18m, like KL said, they want something more dynamic and graphic, so i may only say try GD method first for 2-3week and see if she gets back to words if not try picture and words, + DVD, + LR. Personaly i am not doing LR, waiting for her to be about 1.5-2, as letting her have hands on more, she likes to play the picture/word card on her free time to explore it. but i did do dvd.

Hi KL,

Thanx for the reply. Using Tweedle wink and YBCR as well since Jan, approx.3-4 times per week. After seeing 5 lessons on TW, she didn’t want to see anymore. YBCR CD’s also she just watches for 3 weeks (they suggest for 2mnths). So when she’s not interested I stop those ones. LR also same…she will see few playlists for 1-2 weeks (likes only animals,actions, one;s with picture n sound).Didn;t seem to be interested in slideshow’s either.
She loves to watch Baby einstein etc which i bought but after reading a post on the forum put them away n got YBCR, TW etc.

For showing her these CD’s we got a portable DVD player as the screen is smaller so won;t strain her eyes. But 2-3 days back I realised may be the font size on that is too small so she;s still not able to recognise words (she’s seeing for 3mnths now). Will it be good idea to show her on TV so the text n pics appear bigger in size.

Thanks Trinity Papa, all well. thanx for ur suggestion, will start with new set of cards n try to do 2-3 sessions. will do only words n see how it goes.I do 1 session for flash cards n dot cards. True, kids are very smart…they know when ur trying to test…same with my daughter…she’ll point to both.

Dear Ad,

Your child sounds bored to me, and needs a consistent schedule - whatever that may be for you and your child. How often are you showing the same materials? And how often do you introduce new material while retiring the old materials? Have you read [i]How to Teach Your Baby to Read, 40th Anniversary Edition[i] by Mr. Glenn Doman?

I would continue where you left off and start making couplets. I would also use different formats as KL suggested, by using paper and LR/.ppt.

Please let us know how it goes.

• Ayesha

My daughter is also 18 months old. At this age she seems to like both the single words and the couplets and sentences. They say from 18-24 months that it is a good idea to let your child choose the words she wants herself. My daughter is not speaking well enough to do this yet, but I plan on introducing that as soon as I can.

Don’t show the words you already did again - start with new words, but reintroduce the old words in both couplets and sentences. Like the others said, LR and DVDs work well too.

Hi Ayesha,

Thanx for ur reply. I’m showing the cards once a day for 7 days and then replace the set. For 1 month or so…she sees well but after that since she;s not interested I stop it. After a break of 2-3 weeks or more, she’s wants them again. have to read GD book. After how many single words do we introduce couplets.
Well for now, I’m preparing new cards and see how she takes it.

Hi Tanikit,
Thanks for ur advice.

I think it’ll be good to start again…I’m motivated but do I stop showing picture cards with word cards or can do both. As GD baby people said to stop pic cards.