Hello!

My name is Jenny and I have a two month old with Down syndrome. I’ve been researching and reading blogs and heard about this website. I love what I’m seeing so far and am interested in the Little Reader Deluxe program but not sure when the best age to start that would be. I do plan to order some of the flashcards for use now. Any feedback or experiences using this program with small children with DS would be GREATLY appreciated :slight_smile:

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think you can start LR right after your baby can see you clearly. That might be 2-3 month old. Sadly, I do not have any tips regarding DS. Good luck!

Welcome!

Thank you! I just printed the black and white infant stimulation flash cards so we will start with those tonight!

Welcome to the forum! Here you will find your answers. Yes, you could work with your chlld with flah cards, there are very good ones in black and white, especially for the age of your baby!

We put the black and white infant stimulation cards around her changing table, above her swing and other random places around the house. We also have a bunch we leave where we normally play with her and can show her. It’s amazing how much they grab her attention! She is receiving occupational therapy and has trouble turning her head from side to side and tracking objects but using the black and white cards has helped tremendously with both! Love them :slight_smile:

My LO also had trouble turning her head from side to side and also had to receive occupational therapy. It is something momentaneous. I had to go to her therapy every day, from Monday to Friday. It was difficult to perceive by other people. Now she is totally recovered. She also had to carry a correctio about nine months and their funny but disgusting for me boots. But now she is perfectly good. It is good to use the flashcards in this way; I used to move their toys from side to side in order that she followed them with her sight. It is very good for the movement of her neck.

I’m glad to hear your daughter is doing well now! Are you using the Little Reader program? I would love to hear feedback on it. I’m waiting a little while to download the free version but I am so excited for her to try it and see how it works. With her disability I know she will have to work a little harder but we plan to do everything we can to help her!

Hello Jenny,

My daughter is doing well now. When she was born, the doctor said to me that she had to have a correctio. That awful thing made my LO now can walk around my house perfectly!! God blesses the person who invented it!!! She can move her neck from side to side. Besides, she had to put special boots on because another problem that she had in her left foot. The problem was caused when she was in my womb, she took a bad possition. I remember a very strong ache in the fifth or sixth month of my pregnancy. I think that it must be common among twins because of the little space for two creatures in the same place. But now everything is backwards.

As far as LR, and your question about my own experience, I can say to you that my purchase of LR that May 2012 has been very positive not only for my LO, but also for myself. Although my level of English is hight, I don´t use advanced English very usually. The thing was worse when I lost my job. Buying LR, forces to me to use my second language, and even to take the third language again. I would like to teach my LO German in the future, but I prefer doing later, not at the same time. Sometimes I have doubts, because in accordance with what I read here over and over again the best time is right now. The other day commented it my husband, I want to teach Chinese too, in the future,and he said to me first German, I agree. I have no idea, when, it is the truth.

My LO loves LR. I bought it when she was about almost 2 months and a half. I cannot believe the fact that children could read, but the fact of having such a fantastic language programme for my own child, made me take the decision of buying it. I did the free trial, and I was very excited. I began to use it, perhaps once a week when my LO was about three months, or before, I am not sure. She was in her cot. Then I sat on my lap. She showed interest. The important thing is your LO have fun, only that, Early learning begins since the first moment that she begins to receive all the input that LR gets with only four or five minutes. First begins with black and white.

Don´t worry about what you call her disability, she will be able to take advantage of LR, I cannot doubt that fact.