Hello! Home with a two month old baby

Wanted to introduce myself to the community, I have a two month old baby girl and would like to get started with anything that could possibly spark her interest in learning in the future. I know it might be way too early to start doing much of anything yet. So far she seems to love the infant stimulation cards. Does anyone have any suggestions as to when to start teaching her words etc?

Welcome! You could start with the How Smart is Your Baby book (http://www.amazon.com/How-Smart-Your-Baby-Revolution/dp/0757001947/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1434768266&sr=1-1&keywords=how+smart+is+your+baby). This starts with activities to be used from birth. At 2 months there are lots of visual stimulation exercises and mobility exercises that are recommended. Doman mom has all of the cards needed for the program on her site (http://domanmom.com/2014/06/newborn-stimulation-all/) they can be easily printed off. What I did was print them, laminate and then hole punch them, then put them in order in a binder to make it easy to grab and go.

I used early learning with my 2 early children, and now have a new little one who is 5 weeks.

My younger son (age 5) is working at a 3rd grade level in all subjects. If you look at this thread it shows his progress:

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/reading-update-with-my-3-year-old/

My elder is 9 and is working at an 8th grade level.

Hi! You definitely want to check out Doman Mom– the authors name is Liz and I’ve been following her site for several years now. I think that her site is great and she’s got one of the most “complete” Infant Education type blogs out there. She has pretty much everything you could need for the infant stage available on her website and she is truly cool. You can read through her archives and see how her technique has been refined over about 8 years and 3 kids.

DomanMom isn’t active on this site as much but she replies to comments on her blog and the archives on the BK forum are a wealth of information.
Infact none of the veterans are as active on this site as they were when their kids were young, but what you want to do is dig through the archives of certain users posts–aiangeles, Linzy, daddude, waterdreamer, PokerDad, Marta and TeachingMyToddlers(she changed her name a few times so that could be wrong) they are some of the most prolific users from the BK “golden age” (2009-2013). When this site was constantly abuzz with activity. You can read their journeys more closely by going to their profile and working through their archive of posts. There are several others too–probably the best thing that you can do is read through the archives of this site and take notes. You’ll want to get your library card in good order because there are some EL authors that you’ll want to read and you’ll find them mentioned in this. Glenn Doman is only the tip of the ice berg.

Anyway, sorry for that tangent. You can begin teaching your baby the most essential skills by supporting language every way you can–speaking, signing, speaking, reading, speaking and speaking some more. If she can appreciate and understand words then half the battle is already won. You’ll want to talk to and show the baby things–all sorts of things. Everything from flashcards to houseplants to photographs etc. And always, always, always talk to baby. Domans “How Smart is Your Baby” book is a wonderful starting point and again, www.DomanMom.com will help you tremendously with that program.

Welcome to you and your little one and I hope that you’ll enjoy the ride :slight_smile:

PS–Linzy, wow! Congratulations to your family on your newest baby! (Boy or girl?)
Its so exciting to hear about Blaise and Masons status–I’m sure lots of the BK readers would appreciate an in-depth update on them, I know I would, but then again I’m an education and EL junky so maybe I’m just jonsing for a “fix” lol! Its great to “see” you online again.

Hello!
You are starting at pretty much the perfect time:) you have gotten to know your new baby and are getting a good feel for when they are calm and more receptive to interaction and stimulation:). Definitely start with the Doman Mom site, there is a wealth of information.

I am excited to be starting the EL journey all over again with my own 2 month old. I have an extremely advanced five-year-old with whom I did EL: you can read all about our journey here in the archives as well. Everything we did paid off tremendously…truly, the biggest gifts we could have given her are ability to read anything and everything, and her love of learning. She has a fantastic love of math and numbers. So much so that she thinks the grade levels on her math books should correspond with her age instead, and will probably outpace that this year, lol.

Start with what you want to teach. In the meantime you can start with Doman activities for infants. I think that the most important cornerstone is teaching your baby to read. There are many ways to do this, many programs you can use including the fabulous BK products. Then you can decide what else you want to add in.

I actually think that many of the old members with success stories still pop back over to check but rarely post as their kiddos have grown. However, if you have specific questions please ask as I am sure they will be happy to respond:)