Hello from Switzerland

Hello,

My name is Nina and I have a 3 and a half month old daughter Lara. I came across the early education concept some weeks ago and have just finished reading most of the GD books. Was busily preparing flashcards and wondering how I’d get them all done, till I chanced across this website. Though I haven’t purchased LR just yet (wanted to first check how Lara would respond to being presented stuff on the laptop), I definitely mean to very soon.

I’m trilingual (English, Hindi & Bengali), my husband’s native language is German and we can also speak very good French. So I was wondering how I’d manage to teach all those languages (and feeling overwhelmed!) - and am really happy to have come across this website & forum - the many suggestions, study plans, discussions, tips, links, etc posted by the members are just AWESOME! Looking forward to using LR and LM. I’m inspired, motivated and ready for the adventure… :slight_smile:

welcome dear ecotina to the forum.
I have 17 months old baby girl, she is bilingual(spanish-english). We started with LR about 4 months ago, I show her different slides form LR (some english-some spanish). My baby loves them, she is doing really good, she can read over 100 words in both languages. Many parents are scared to get kids confused. What I suggest to you is not to mix languages. In my house I speak 100% spanish to her and dady speaks 100% english to her, because the confusion starts if I or him speaks spanglish to her.

I also show her some LR in chinese and french, I am going easy on them, probably show her two slides on french once a day (just few). We just started!!

We also follow the program Your Baby Can Read, that helped her a lot in her vocabulary and reading.

I am glad you are interested in this forum, I have lots of fun sharing experiences with other parents and learning from them.

Hope this helps,

:slight_smile:

Hi and welcome to the forums. It’s great to have you here! Feel free to browse the forums and add to any discussions that interest you. Please let us know if you have any questions or need any help getting around. We hope to hear more from you soon!
Nikki

Hello ecotina!

Welcome to the forum! I totally how you feel about theaching several languages at the same time and you just need to do what works for you time wise. I have posted this before, but I’m not sure where. We are teaching our daughter English and Spanish (our native languages) and exposing her to Mandarin and German. I do most of her materials in English because they are easier to find. I have translated some into Spanish and talk to her most of the time in Spanish. Monday and Wednesday are German days and Tuesdays and Thursdays are Mandarin days. What PY said is the most important point when raising a bilingual or multilingual child: “Not mixing languages”. These are some threads that may be helpful:

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-signing-speaking-foreign-languages/teaching-language-e-mail-from-doman’s-institute/
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-signing-speaking-foreign-languages/does-anyone-know-what-flash-card-method-to-use-when-teaching-two-languages/

Please let us know if you have any otehr questions!

Hello Nina! welcome aboard. :biggrin: you are in the right track,you will find this site really helpful and very informative for creative learning.

Hi and welcome to forum!

Thanks Joha for posting that thread. I didn’t know about it. I know it’s challenge to raise multiligual kids. Karma to you Joha.

mamadoudou

Hello Ecotina!

Welcome to the group! :slight_smile:
My name is Autumn. I am teaching our 2 year old and almost 5 year old. I came across something that might be very useful for foreign language. It’s from IAHP (Glenn Doman’s Evan Thomas Institute Teaching Materials Catalogue) it’s called the “Five-Language Homemade Book Kit”. This is what we’ll be using to teach multiple languages. It comes with two seperately bound homemade books, one in Spanish and one in French. This is $15.00. Not sure about the shipping to Switzerland?

The catalog also has individual lessons (but it is quite a bit more expensive :huh: ) for teaching foreign languages in Japanese, Spanish, French, Italian and German.

They also have wonderful Encyclopedic Knowlegde cd roms that all come with the five languages. These are very fun…but it’s on the computer…so I don’t know about using it for an infant yet??? It may be okay… :unsure:

Let me know if I can assist you with anything.

Have Fun Teaching Your Baby!!! :wink:

Autumn

do you use more languages with reading new words?
I know that someone use to translate every word which is presented for a child:
I saw that my son is a little confused when he is reading some word and I’m trying to translate it to other languages:
when he sees word: car and I say: macchina (italian) he doesn’t like it,
I thought that it will be better separate the same categories in different languages (every day?month?week?year?)