Hello from Sweden

Good morning to all of you,
I’m a new member of this forum, so new that I’ve just started reading General forum rules. I’m excited and overwhelmed of the topics on here regarding early learning, and very eager to be a part of this society.

I have 2 sons, 26 month old and 2 month old. The idea of teaching my older son something at this age came when I was searching for a Chrismas present for him. I found Little Math and got to know about the concept of early learning with flash card, was quite astonished and inspired. Downloaded the trial version and had a look on a lesson, my son showed interest so I think we both have a positive view on this.

I’m Vietnamese, my husband is German, and we are living in Sweden. Our children are exposed to 4 languages: I speak Vietnamese to them, my husband speaks German, in kindergarten they speak Swedish, my husband and I speak English to each other.

To keep our language approach being consistent, if I were to teach my son LM, it should be in Vietnamese, and if my husband does, it should be in German. My question is that, is it possible for us to do so with LM? If so, how.

I would appreciate any response to help me in this question.

Best regards,
Luan

Welcome to the forum! There is plenty to learn here, you can easily spend days scrolling through the past topics!
I don’t think it matters what language you teach it in or who teaches it. It’s more a case of deciding what language you want them to read in first. Consider focussing on one for a while then adding in the next. You can verbalize the language you are teaching each time you do a lesson to confirm the knowledge of learning multiple languages in your kids but it isn’t necessary, they will figure it all out in time. Continue to speak as you do because your lucky children will learn to understand all 4 languages that way.
Feel free to ask more questions, there are plenty of willing helpers here.

Hi

My son is half Swedish and I teach him little math on Chinese because he seems to count to the highest in Chinese but we are considering doing that on Swedish too.

I would be interested to know whether you can switch between languages in little math? :wub:

Hi Mandabplus3,

Thanks for your reply. I will continue reading earlier posts for more knowledge, however so far I don’t find any post relating to my question.

Your comment is about language, but I’m asking about Little Math. While you don’t think it matters which language to be used when teaching, or who to teach, I do. To me it’s important not to mix any language, because our children are confused enough already.

Because I speak only Vietnamese to my children, while the language used on Little Math is either English or Chinese, I’m asking for possibility to use Vietnamese instead. Do you think it’s possible, and do you know how to do that?

Thanks,
Luan

Yes, it is. You can dowload sound sets in different languages including vietnamese here: http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?cat=220 or upload sound files of your own voice to use with little math .

After downloading existing Vietnamese sound sets here, as was mentioned by Brandenberger ( Thank you so much!!! Karma) :

http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?sa=view;id=6063

http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?sa=view;id=6062

You can set up your Little Math in Vietnamese:

1. import a sound set

2. PLAYBACK > turn on override (button at bottom)

3. Click on Cogwheel beside Override

4. click on Math Tab, in the Display setting, (second "circle) from the top, click on it to turn green

5. then select Vietnamese sound set

that’s it – all sounds will play in Vietnamese!!

Hope this helps.

Oh, Luan, I can relate to your language dilemma – we expose our children to 4 different languages ourselves :yes: But the amazing thing – their brains are amazing and they will sort it all out and it will only expand their capabilities!! You are doing a great job!

I just wanted to say hello & welcome to the forum! Your children are capable of learning more than you ever imagined, so teach them any languages you want! :slight_smile: