Hello Everyone... Eager Mom of 12months old twin boys... need ur help ;))

Hello there,

I am a mom of a 12 months old twin boys, i am soo eager to start teaching them how to read, but as all mothers with twin know, they do usually have little concentration since they distract each others a lot. :blink: :confused:

i am soo new to the LR thing, i already printed the animals flahcards and started to:
1- name the animal
2-turn to the pic and name it again with making sounds of the animals
3-turing to the name and saying the name for the third time.

i created a new set as well, of 4 flashcards (i named it the FAMILY set :wink: :wub: ), each with a name of my boys and one for daddy and one for me, with our names on one side and our picture on the other.

my questions are:
1- each flashcard should take less than a second?
2- how often i should repeat the cards :mellow: ?
3- can i use the animals set and the family set i created at the same time?
4-when should i start to notice if babies are grasping the reading?
5-what should i do on addition to the above, as i mentioned before, knowing that it is difficult to have the twins wanting to learn at the same time, whenever i read for them which became very rare lately, one of them wont feels like it and will start to distract the other, of course in a very cute way :happy: , but still we are drifting from our goal that is learning to readā€¦ :wacko: .

sorry for overwhelming you with my questions, but i am really eager to start teaching my babies and i am loving your products, just want to make sure that we will be able to use them. :biggrin:

Thank you in advance.

AndrewRapahel

Well, i still have couple of question, if you donā€™t mind :rolleyes:

6- Can i teach 2 languages and how to alternate? (since i am lebanese my tongue language is arabic, but i want to teach them both english and french)
7- what can i start other than flashcards, any suggested product for 1 year old beginners?

Thank you again

AndrewRaphael

Andrew,
Iā€™m so excited for you and your twins. Like you, I have twins. Weā€™ve been doing early learning since they were born. Sometimes the interuptions can really cause issues with the learning process, but as long as the twins are throwing a fit or hating what early learning (EL) you are doing at the moment, just try to stick with it. Other members may differ with their advice, but this is what I found that works for my family.

ā€œEach flashcard should take less than a secondā€ ā€“ I felt that was a good amount of time for my boys because we are working ā€œRight Brained activitiesā€.

ā€œCan you use the animal set and the family set at the same timeā€ ā€“ I feel that is a great idea. As long as the animal set doesnā€™t have too many flashcards, I think you are in good shape.

ā€œWhen will you notice if your babies are learning to readā€-- I havenā€™t tested my children on their reading skills yet or pushed it all that hard, so Iā€™m not the best one to ask. Many member have their children reading extremely early, so they can put their input in.

ā€œWhat else can you do in addition to what you are doingā€-- When I started, I would spend about 20 minutes with each child. I would focus on them and do my best to keep their attention. After they finished, I would switch to the next child. That worked pretty well for many months.
When we began EL, we were doing Little Reader, Little math (plus the schichida method), spanish, and sign language. I eventually switched to a 55" TV and do 1 or 2 sessions a day because now I have a 3rd child (5 months old) that is going EL!

ā€œCan you teach 2 languages at the same timeā€-- Absolutely YES! Studies have shown the sooner you are teaching a 2nd or 3rd language, the better it is. Iā€™m now teaching my 3 children English, Spanish, Chinese, & sign language. Their vocabulary is amazing.

ā€œWhat can you start besides flashcardsā€-- There are many things you can start besides flashcards. For instance, brillkids offers programs like Little reader, Little math, Little musician, and an assortment of other products. There are free trials for the programs if you want to try them.

Enjoy your twins! I love spending the extra time with my children. Some days are great for teaching because they are paying attention so well, but other days arenā€™t. If they are having a bad day, just stop and resume the next day or give your children a break.

Iā€™m teaching my children (Currently)ā€¦ English, Spanish, simplified Chinese, sign language, swimming, math, music (Little Musician), We also do ReadingBear.org, chess, memory games, and gymnastics.

I hope this helps,

John

Youā€™re my hero!!! An amazing line up AND you have 3 kidsā€¦rock on! :yes: