helicopter parenting causes incompetence

I came across this article and can’t get it off of my mind. It basically implies that overindulgent helicopter parenting causes children to become incompetent and helpless. It highlights a child (age 6) from the amazon who can catch dinner (crayfish) and cook it too. I’m far from indulgent but I must admit that my children seem less capable than I was a child. I couldn’t cook at age 6. I wasn’t as competent as the amazon girl but I was more competent than my children. I was raised by a single mother and had to be more independent. But I think even my friends who had both parents were maybe more independent than my children. It is a hard thing to face. My children aren’t even allowed to play outside by themselves without supervision because I live in large condo development with too many unknown people wandering around. Sometimes my children help me make dinner but they are mostly playing at making dinner. I make them pick up their toys and clean their room, but it is done poorly so that I go in and fix it. Anyway it is food for thought. I read the article to my children. I told them if I am doing things that they can do for themselves to tell me so I can give than more independence. Then I cringed as my 5 year old (who is only 33 pounds) insisted she can pour her own milk. It is a half gallon container and just weighs too much so I ended up helping her. Will I ever reform myself? Anyway I think about this article every day so I wanted to share it.

Here it is:

http://hmcurrentevents.com/indulgent-parenting-can-lead-to-“adultescence”/

Happy reading, Lori