Healthy deserts for children

Thought to have different recipes ideas divided, into deserts, meals and on-the-go snacks. This way once we have more and more recipes contributed, we can easier search through them and find what we are looking for. What do you think? With all the buzy parents out there in mind :smiley:

Here is a simple healthy desert, which is loved by the toddlers and older kids alike.

ALL NATURAL 5 MINUTE “ICECREAM”

Frozen overripe banana
Frozen berries of your choice (blackberries, stroberries, raspberries, even mangos, etc)

Put banana and berries into the blender, and blend on high for a few seconds, serve immediately. It sounds so simple and takes only a few minutes, but it tastes like a real ice-cream, and has no sugar, milk or artificial flavors! (The idea is originally from one of the raw foods websites, dont remember which…)

As a variation you can also add a couple of spoons of all natural plain youghurt.

Enjoy!

Looking forward to contributions!

SOUNDS YUMMY! I might have to try it for my son soon.

For my baby (11mo) and I we often share a smoothie (one or more of the other kids always wants some too).

• small handful of nuts (either raw brazil nuts, or raw almonds soaked for a day or so and then I can slip the peels off)… good source of protein and calcium, gives a nice creamy richness to the smoothie

• a dozen or so dates (for extra sweetness… yum!)

• 3 medium or 4 small ripe bananas

• some frozen fruit… I’m very partial to blueberries! (about 1 cup)

• some water… I’ve never measured, maybe a cup or so? The amount you use will determine the thickness.

Blend until smooth.

This makes a very generous amount, but we have lots of kids so for us it’s barely enough. This isn’t really a desert I guess… the baby and I eat it as our meal. It makes a great afternoon snack too.

Thats a great one, I think we will make that one tomorrow for ourselves :slight_smile:

I often use either Rice Drink or plain natural youghurt for smoothies as well, instead of water and for extra nutrition, can be a good variation :slight_smile:

I will make this yummy dessert today but will try mango or papaya instead of bananas because we don’t eat bananas

You all make my mouth water…
How strong does your blender need to be to blend frozen bananas? I am afraid to break mine :blush: How many Watts?
As for papayas you hardly need to add anything… they are perfect as they are and that is one food (other is avocados and mangoes) I miss from Africa…
Our ice-cream shake is partly frozen yogurt and strawberries blended together, yum-yum

Ok, how do you pick good papayas? every time I have ever bought one it smells and tastes like throw-up! :ohmy:

Or, is that the way it’s supposed to be?? :blink:

Papayas we got in Africa almost looked green to me. There were two types: long ones and others sort of roundish, long tasted better. They shouldn’t have spots on the skin and are firm to touch. I think along with avos and mangos papayas go bad easily from too much handling and poking …but I am not an expert :wub:

Cashew Mignardises

Mignardises are little bite-sized desserts that are typically served in high-end restaurants. But they are so easy to make. :slight_smile:

When I was pregnant I had to add cashews to my diet due to nutrients in these nuts, and this was one of the varieties that I enjoyed on the occasion. You do not need to add cocoa powder if you prefer not. And I used to make a mix, adding good raw oats, shredded coconut and brewers yeast to it, so these little balls turned from nice dessert into nutritions snack on the go…
You can also use almond butter instead.

Ingredients:
1 cup raw cashew butter (or the equivalent in freshly ground raw cashews, or almonds!)
1/2 cup maple syrup or raw honey ( you can put less if you prefer, I usually put half of recommended dose of sweetener or even less)
3/4 cup raw cocoa powder
Little bit of vanila
Pinch of sea salt (optional)
Any coatings that you enjoy, like shredded coconut, sesame seeds, etc
(Optionally you can add some raw oats, small pieces of other nuts, brewers yeast, shredded figs or dates, there is room for experiment, I always end up making slighty different variation every time, ha!)

Directions:

1. Combine cashew butter, honey, cocoa powder, vanilla, brewers yeast and salt in a food processor and blend until smooth.
  2. Add raw oats, pieces of nuts, or any other small fruit pieces you desire to have there to the mixture
  3. Pour mixture into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for about an 30 minutes.
  4. Use your hands to make small balls.
  5. Roll balls in shredded coconut, sesame seeds, or any other coating that you enjoy - anything goes, so don’t hesitate to bring out chopped dried fruit
  6. Refrigerate for a few hours and serve; you can also freeze these balls and take them out with you on outings

It’s a nice healthy alternative to conventional desserts!

Nikolett,

I am using my travel mixer, it is a tiny little thing ( since we move a lot, ha!), and not really powerful, so I just take froxen banana out of the freeser, slice it with sharp knife ( it is easier than it sounds, as it has a smooth buttery texture, even when really frozen), and blend these pieces. If the blender is more powerful then mine, I am sure you do not need to slice it much… :slight_smile:

When selecting Hawaiian-type papayas ( small pear shaped fruit, usually about 0.5 kg), look for plump fruit that is yellow in color with smooth, unblemished skin. The neck can still be somewhat green when the rest is ripe.

Mexican papayas, the ones that are big, sometimes as big as 8-9 kg!, - may look mostly green even when fully ripe. When selecting a Mexican papaya that is already cut and wrapped, choose the one that has the deepest salmon or red flesh color. When choosing a whole, uncut fruit, choose one that has the most burnt-orange ( with green tint) skin color and somewhat spongy-soft while still firm ( not sure how to explain that :smiley: )

The ones to avoid: hard or shriveled or overly soft or the one that have a fermented aroma. Avoid papaya with dark spots because they often go beneath the skin’s surface and spoil the flavor. Avoid cut Mexican papayas with pale red or pinkish color, that means they are underripe…

Hope this helps…

On papayas:
under-ripe taste much better than mushy overripe or spoiled (flavor you, sb1201, described, :laugh: :laugh: )

I also prefer under-ripe :slight_smile: agree with that

i think chilren should have vegan sweets are healthier a xylitol dos not cause cavites. iink yourchild health is worth the extra time and money involved. quality befoe quantity, i do not want to use food as a comforting tool, food can be enjoyed but is essentialy for survival. using food as a punishment or reward is what causes eating disorders.

vgan chocolate cake (perfect for bithday cupcakes)
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup xyltol
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 cup water

…DIRECTIONS
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2.Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.
3.Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

i also have a good recipe for vegan soy icecream

1 frozen banana
1 fresh banana
1 container silken tofu

blend everything in blender with optional fruit of choice, freeze

is very simple, very yummy, verry guilt free