Has anyone tried AMIQ/BambinoLUK?

Hi,

I’ve found out about AMIQ through a local book store recently. Here’s a link to their website http://www.brainet.com.my/AMIQ/AMIQ-intro.html A game for 2 years old to 12 years old. It does not required writing and consists of a controller and a variety sets of learning books. Each set of books have several exercise and focus on specific skill development. I was impressed because of the innovative contents and beautiful design but the price scared me off :blink: It’s about Malaysia Ringgit 2800 (around USD 900) They also remind me of BambinoLuk from Germany which is relatively cheaper (youtube link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjNB3edaMtM). Has anyone used AMIQ/BambinoLUK before? If yes, appreciate your review :smiley: Thanks so much!

We don’t have these particular ones, but we have a similar type tile game. It included lots of premath, early math and early reading activities. But overall I won’t recommend them, especially at that price!
The kids do enjoy them and they do learn from them. What i didn’t like was that it was very labour intensive for me. When kids are at the age they need to learn these skills ( especially important for early learning kids!) they are not old enough to correctly select the right tile independently. They can’t ensure the book lines up with the answer squares without continually bumping it. Plus I found it quicker to just teach the concept than use the tiles! In the end I photocopied all my books and laminated the pages so they would sit flat for use. I only did this because I had multiple children who could use them ( and I teach)
If they had more advanced levels for age 7 and up I would buy books for that. This age group enjoy these activities, can do them independently and love being able to self check their own work.
Over all I think your money is better spent elsewhere IMHO
If you do buy them I recommend using tape or blue tack to hold the tile “box” in place and take all the tiles out and place them in the correct order before you start so kids can be a bit more independent. Our tiles are numbered so you pick up number 1 tile and put it on the answer to question number 1, then pick up number 2 tile and put it on the answer to number 2 question… It’s just a bit confusing for kids under 6.

My experience is a little different from yours, Manda. I bought a set of 3 books and frame with six picture tiles (not from Bambino but it has a similar concept) for Ella’s 2nd birthday. I showed her how to use it twice, supervised her for maybe the next 15 minutes, then she played with it pretty much independently from then on. However, she was also a toddler with quite advanced fine motor skills and longer-than-usual attention span. She could turn the individual pages of regular books (not board books) by herself and do 36-piece puzzles by herself at that age (24-26 months). The toy was such a success that she started asking for more books when she had finished the 3 that came with the set. So for Christmas that year, I got her a more advanced set from Grolier with 16 tiles and 10 books called FunThinkers (English levels 1-3, Math levels 1-3, and Thinking Skills levels 1-4. The Thinking Skills books are really right brain exercises). http://www.grolier-asia.com/products/funthinkers/ The tiles on this set were numbered instead of having pictures on them, and since this was also around the time she was doing Jones Geniuses numbers 1-20, she was able to easily learn to use this set as well. She has been playing with the FunThinkers books since then.

Last year, I got her two more sets from Grolier called Logico Piccolo and Logico Maximo. The Piccolo toy is for ages 5-9 years old and the Maximo one is for ages 9 and above. After playing with Piccolo for almost a year, she is able to do most of the cards now and has now started to tackle Maximo. Most of the cards in Maximo are still quite advanced for her so I expect the set to be able to grow with her for another couple of years at least. I agree that you could easily teach the concepts in the books yourself, but I don’t use it for that. I teach her the concepts and use the toys as a sort of workbook for her to review and practice and check her skills. This breaks up the monotony of lots of handwriting required for regular workbooks, and you don’t get stared at as much when you bring one out in a restaurant while waiting for your meal as opposed to bringing out a workbook (which my daughter has been known to do!) lol

All that being said, the toys are not a necessity in early learning. If you have extra funds, then sure go for it. But if funds are budgeted, then I would choose to buy books and curricula over these any day! Plus, the Bambino ones are terribly overpriced at $900?!?! :ohmy: :wacko: :ohmy: I would never even consider them at that price. :nowink:

Manda,

Do you remember doing these at school? I went to QLD primary school in the late 80s-early 90s. I swear these look very much like a tile game I played then. The pattern in the back is very familiar.

http://www.beyond123.com/mini/mini.html

Dear Manda and aangeles,

Thank you so much for the input :slight_smile: . The one that cost $900 is AMIQ, BambinoLUK is less expensive, I think is around $200 for a complete set. Thanks God that I posted the question in this forum before committing any impulsive buying lol . Will check out the funthinkers with Grolier in Malaysia :smiley: . Both of you were right that money should be spent elsewhere :yes: … (actually I am also considering Right Start Math curriculum currently… ).

Korrale4kq, are you from Germany? Because I was told that this game had more than 30 years history in Germany. I’ve never seen it until I started to research about early learning for my son :blush:

Thanks again everyone!! Good day ahead :slight_smile:

Korrale4kq ( I am curious is the 4KQ from the local radio station? lol ) I schooled in NSW but yes we did indeed use these at school. Not those exact same ones, we actually used the same ones I ended up buying lol We used them in grade 3 and I clearly remember thinking this is fun, but way too easy. I guess year 3 was too late to give them to us, for the particular book I was using was below the level my grade 1 kid could master!
Like I said they are fun but only good for reinforcing concepts, although now that I have them I may as well pull them out and see if my son likes them…some phonics practice wouldn’t go astray :biggrin:
If you picked up a set cheaper or second hand maybe… I payed less than $100 ( think it was $70) for mine I got two tile boards and at least 6 books, then I got a freebie for another set of 6 books, the next level up. These are the ones I have http://www.home-parties.com/uncategorized/learning-ladder-latest-catalogue-august-2008.html
I think the ones aangeles used are better in many ways but 16 is ALOT of tiles…

ELys, I grew up in Australia.

Manda I had to look up where 4KQ was. I grew up with 4GR then later 4CC.

When I was a kid 4 was my favourite number. And K and Q were favourite letters. And the 4KQ stems from a conversation my friends and I had back when we were teens. All of us did extremely well on an IQ test and we didn’t necessarily feel that it measured intelligence, because our theory at the time was that intelligence is genetic, abstract, untrainable and unmeasurable. We instead used to mock it and call it a Knowledge Quotient rather than intelligence quotient because tests can be taught. Not sure I believe that anymore. :slight_smile: but that is what the 4KQ stood for.

I really like the look of the fun thinkers that Aangels posted but they are not available anymore in the US so they are hard to find. The logico are not released in the US.
The bambinoLUK starter set starts at $20-$30 and the complete set is $90. So it is something I am considering. I just wish I knew more about the questions that they have.

Does anyone want to sell their used miniluk?