Has anyone done imagination exercises or taught anything to help with intuition?

I read the free ebook on www.rightbrainkids.com and this area was mentioned a little. I do not have their dvds as of yet. I loved what they had to say about the energy you bring to your child and to be aware of this. I also believe this area is addressed in the Shichida method. I have not been able to find any information on this in the U.S. though and would appreciate if anyone had any advice or could point me in the right direction of some resources. I find all areas of teaching my baby are completely fascinating and feel like I am able to find many resources in other areas of teaching him but have not found much in this area.

Yes i do this with my kid.He enjoys a lot.I do at bed time .And he closes his eyes and i ask him what can u see sometimes he say that i can see a store where we i am buying biscuits ,juice and fruits and all.Sometimes he his going to park an he his enjoying on a swing.Sometimes he say that he can see moon in the sky and stars and humpty dumpty is flying and all.Beleive this will help to be more creative.And will help them in future to have a good vision for themselves.

Sapna

I found this on another site. It is from the Shichida Method.

Linking memory : is training to remember a series of pictures. And to help you remember a series of pictures, you use stories to connect them. Sometimes also called memory train. It is aimed at enhancing your memorization power.

Photo memory : is training to enhance your observation power. The kid is shown one picture for 1-2 seconds and the child is pretends to “take picture” like in taking photograph. Then bring out another very similar picture (eg. With difference in colour or positioning) and ask the kid which was the picture that was shown. It doesn’t need to pictures, it can also be toys eg red-blue-green blocks vs blue-red-green blocks. As the level progresses, make the picture more and more difficult to differentiate.

Another slightly advance version is to place 3 to 4 colour objects on a sheet of paper with a picture (eg house picture). Let the child see for 1-2 seconds, and then remove the colour objects and ask the child to place the objects in the same position previously shown. Increase the number of objects to increase difficulty level.

Another advance version of this is to show a picture with 3 to 5 basic colours for 1-2 seconds, and then give the child the same picture without colours and ask the child to colour the picture, using crayon or colour pencil. They are supposed to use same colour as the previous picture. Sometimes, 4 colour mandala cards are used as the pictures. You can use colouring books for this purpose. Or prepare 2 versions of the pictures using powerpoint, one with colour and the other without.

Another version of this game is show a picture of a flower basket to your child for 1-2 seconds, and then as the child questions like “how many flowers are they?”, “how many red flowers?”. “How many flowers are full bloom?”

Another version played by Wonder Tree is show a kid 1 picture very quickly and then ask the child to identify the picture shown from a group of 30 to 50 pictures. As the kid progress, show 2 pictures and later on up to 6 pictures. If you are showing more than 1 picture, make sure that all pictures are shown at one go and not one after another.

Another version of this game is to throw 5 to 20 toys/objects on the floor, sweep them up and asked the child what were the objects. The child is supposed to answer something like "I saw a spoon, tiger, red block, apple and etc.

Photo memory game is a right brain game, so your child is supposed to be relaxed or do deep breathing before the games starts. And after seeing the picture, they are supposed to close their eyes and try to visualized the picture shown in their head. Choose an age-appropriate version for your child. You don’t have to follow the Shichida method exactly, as long as the aim is to increase observation power. This game will prepare them for speed reading later on whereby a kid is shown a page with eg. 10 words for 1-2 seconds, and they are supposed to be able to reproduce that 10 words.

Image training : is a pretend play game. Eg. Imagine that we are going to the zoo. For about 3 to 5 minutes, you are supposed to say what animals you both saw, what did you do in the zoo, how many elephants you saw, who went to zoo with the child, What did the animals do. Prepare some toy animals when you play this “go to the zoo” game. This is also a right brain game. For all right brain games, everyone must be relaxed. At Shichida, we clap once to symbolize that we enter the image world and clap once again when we are finished with the image game. At the end say “Now we are going back to home/class, when mummy claps, you will be back home/class”. Other themes that we had played in class are “Happy birthday, you are 1 years old” (the teacher prepared a toy cake), “Helping mummy to do house work”, “going to ocean park”," you are a caterpillar" (teacher had a caterpillar book)

nhockaday :slight_smile: can u tell us where u found that?

It was on another forum. I can pm you a link if you’d like.

My boy attended Shichida when he was 2 and we used the method for a couple of yrs. They teaches right brain trainings which includes ESP, wave reading, memory trainings, image training, IQ trainings, maths, foreign languages and tons of flashcards inputs…Sounds like too much for a child to absorb yah… :biggrin:

They do image training by asking child to image things in their head as parents or teacher tell them the object/ scenerio. However, it’s kind of difficult to judge if the child is actually “imaging” those objects! I used all the methods that nhockaday has posted above.

I do maths using imaging instead. I asked my boy to image stuff like apples on a trees and we do a adding and subtracting of the apples in his head… He has to imagine plucking the apples down from the tree and adding to the ones in the basket… This way, I kind of “know” that he is doing what’s he is doing…Not sure if this method is appropriate in teaching imaging but we enjoyed it anyway! :yes:

I have to say that the imaging practices can be fun as our imagination goes wild…almost like Dr Suess kind of imagination!!!

wow nhockaday… very good ideas there… could you pm me the link to the site as well? :yes: thanks a millioonnss :slight_smile:

take care

Hi Vianbabe,
could you please describe the Shichida maths cards-how does the Shichida system differ from GD. I have only been able to find a few images of Shichida maths cards on the net. These images suggest that Shichida uses random, regular and picture cards to teach maths. Some of the images were of cards with dots of different size.

Looking forward to your reply.

Hi Chris1,

Shichida has produced 3 sets of cards which u have mentioned. The random dots which is use mainly for it’s math program. It’s almost like GD random dot cards. Except that the dots are smaller cos it’s printed on A4 size cards with a corner of the card that is cut off…All Shichida produced cards have 1 corner cut off. Not sure why but the dot card being A4 limited the orientation of the cards which can be flashed to kids since GD suggested the cards be rotated so that each time the kids see a “different” set of dots even though they are actually looking at the same quantity. The smaller dots might not be attractive enough for kids too. At least my boy did not enjoy those cards as much as my set of GD dot cards! :biggrin:

The organised dot cards are actually dots arranged in rows of 10 on a A4 potrait card. Nothing big a deal…It’s almost like showing the qty on a bead abacus in rows of 10. it comes is 1-100 dots…

The picture cards are random pictures showing qty. They just different sets of pictures instead of dots. It is also more like cards to supplement the random dot cards. If you ask me, it’s a waste of time to do that even. Maybe it might works for getting kids who somehow dislike red dots to look at quantity. I know some parents in Singapore are into making these picture instead of red dot cards cos they feel that their kids don’t like looking at red dots.

If you kid is ok with red dots, stick to it…It’s still the best tool ever! :wink:

I would strongly discourage the use if picture qty cards cos they might be distracting and confusing for your child who has already been exposed to red dots. Unless it’s really in the case where the child just simply hate the red dots! :dry:

The shichida math program is very different from GD. It runs for 60 days for cycle 1 and another 60 day for cycle 2. The few few days for both cycle are just simply flashing dots from 1-50 and 50-100. Followed by are mixture of equations using 1 to all 4 operations and some even uses brackets ( which we have to read out too!). The equations can get so long and confusing that I don’t even know what I am reading or teaching! All I know is that by the time I finished 1 equation, my poor boy has probably been staring at the same dot cards which reflect the answer to the equation for more than 30 seconds and half a sleep soon. If u ask the school abt the reasons for the format, it’s trade secret that they will tell u! I paid for the formulas but yet never know what’s the rationale behind it cos it’s trade secret! >:( That’s why we switched to GD when I found out about the wonderful math program which both me and my boy enjoyed it the most. :yes: No more boring equations, not more question marks in our head as we go through the equations and more fun with GD.

Hope my explaination helps!

Cheers,
Vianbabe

Hi Vianbabe,

Thank you for your reply-Karma to you. I posted a link in the forum under differences between Shichida and GD about images linked to numerals-

Memorization of numbers — the children practice memorization of a thousand images linked to numbers. Eventually they will be able to recall any number combination using image-association. Did you come across this in any of the Shichida classes that you attended?

Cheers Chris.