Has anybody bought the Pre-School Math Books by Time Life?

Hi Does anybody have used the pre-school Math books set by Time Life?
http://www.educationaltechnologies.com/products/learning_math_with_albert
My son is already 4 years old. He doesn’t like counting even when we’re using his toys as props nor he likes sorting sets even if we’re dealing with his cars. Then, I came upon this book set that really looks enticing. I already have bought their Knowledge books set which my son really likes and enjoys but I want to know from other parents who have bought the math set if it is indeed effective and appropriate for his age. It’s quite costly about USD600 so I want to research before actually buying it.

I have not purchased it but based the information from the website you provided; I personally think that $600 costs too much. It does look like a nice program but can’t figure out why its sooo expensive?

There isn’t anything really fantastic or original about it to justify such a high price but if you are planning on using it for many children or don’t mind the hefty price, then yah, sure get it. To be honest, even if I had the money I wouldn’t pay that much. I have many of similar materials for a small fraction of the cost. Many flash cards can be found for $2 each. The math books can be rented from the library because my son only enjoys reading a math book a few times and then doesn’t want to read it again. And the other materials can be bought separately like a good math cd rom, counting tiles, and other dollar store teaching items.

I was researching Singapore Math, Math-u-see, Jones G. math systems for my son. I’m leaning slightly toward SM, not entirely sure yet.

The product seems very nice but I agree with Raising Ethan it is very expensive.
Have you tried playing with your son some games where counting is involved?
Today for example i played memory with my grandson and at the end we counted the number of cards each one of us got. We counted his in spanish and mine in english. That way he gets familiar with both of them.
Another game was in nickJr when each time he hit a ball a counter was giving the total score. He went up to 41.
Maybe this way he will be more interested or find it useful to know the numbers that now do not make sense to him.

Good luck.

mommywendy

I just saw their presentation about the total development program products. I am interested in buying the Knowledge books as well as the cognitive skills books. Can you share your experience with the Knowledge series. How do you like it? Is it worth spending that huge money for it? How is your son enjoying it?

My personal opinion about the math books is that it is not worth to spend so much money. It does not contain any new information or any new methodology.