Greeting to all !!! I am Carl Weter's Education Law follower

Hi Everyone,

I found this site by random search from google (I am searching for shichida and heguru).
I have a eight-month old son. I believe in Carl Weter’s Education Law and i had read the book many times. I am still reading it and keep thinking of ways to apply it to my son.

I am a working mom but i am trying my best to give all my time to my son whenever i am not at work. I am applying Carl Weter’s method using my own creativity. My son is able to recognize more than 20 objects in the living room and kitchen now. He loves to play with the dog at home. And, he is able to pick up the flash card and recognize a few fruits…

Patients and continuos practice are important. Let’s do our best as a mom

Hi and welcome to the forums. It’s great to have you here! Feel free to browse the forums and add to any discussions that interest you. Please let us know if you have any questions or need any help getting around. We hope to hear more from you soon!
Nikki

p.s. I’ve never heard of Carl Weter. Maybe you should start a post about him so others can learn about who he is.

Hi,

I am curious to know what Carl Weter’s Educational Law is all about. Are you able to provide some more informaiton?

Many thanks.

“Carl Weter’s Education Law” may be the English translation of the title of Chinese or Japanese version of the German (technically Prussian) book “Karl Witte: Oder Erziehungs- und Bildungsgeschichte Desselben. Ein Buch fur Eltern und Erziehende”

There is an (edited/abridged) english translation called “The education of Karl Witte; or, The training of the child.” The full text is available online on the Internet Archive.

According to the editor’s note at the beginning:

There are two reasons for Witte's book having thus fallen into temporary oblivion. In its original form it is a book which, to employ the quaint but extremely expressive German phrase, "does not allow itself to be read." Not only is it excessively long, running to more than a thousand pages of print, but it is burdened with a mass of disquisitional passages which too often are of little importance, and which, in addition to exhausting the reader's patience, have the effect of diminishing his appreciation of the value of the educational method which Witte laboriously and disconnectedly details. Consequently it has been a necessary task, in connection with the present translation, to eliminate as far as possible the superfluous and beclouding material, while at the same time endeavoring to omit nothing really essential to an understanding of the principles guiding Witte in the education of his son. But even had it not been weighted down by a heavy handicap of form and style, his book was foredoomed to be left for many years unread and unheeded because of the impossibility of reconciling its teachings with the "established" educational doctrines of the age.

I’ve only read the first 60 pages or so at this point so I can not give much review. However, given that the orginal book is now 200 years old (Karl Witte the younger was born in 1800) and the translation is nearing 100 years old itself, the text is a bit hard to digest at times.

I have read part of this book, and looking forward to finishing the next, when I get time. In my opinion, you have to read the book as a diary. I think then it flows together well and any details you can skim over. The main theme is that the author feels he can make anyone of reasonable intellect, a genius. He decided that he would do that when he has a son. His theory worked for him, as his son, Karl, became a genius, according to his father’s definition at least.

I read the part where the father teaches his son to read. I found it interesting because instead teaching the child to read early, like many do here, he waits for child to become self motivated. To bring upon that self motivation from the child, he and his wife tell the child about how great reading is and how wonderful it is to know the end of the story. I think the author and wife do not do a lot of reading to the child either because they want to prevent the child from being dependent on the parents for reading. I like the book in the sense that it emphasizes on creating self motivation in the child, which I really think goes a long way. I also like how the author emphasizes the importance of talking intellectually to the child, that concept is repeated here also. Moreover, like parents here, he does teach the child more languages, at the same time when the child learns to read his native language. Lastly, he also develops self motivation in the child to learn the sciences, which I will definately revisit the book for cuz its the coolest subject. I haven’t heard of any books that focus on sciences yet.

I wonder if there are many Chinese on this forum…they can correct me on this one. This Karl Weter’s book was used by one Chinese mother who wrote “Harvard Girl” in Chinese. She followed Karl Weter’s principle and the end result was her daughter attended Harvard, which to the author and any Chinese is very reputable. And she wrote her diary, combined with her daughter’s and sold it as a book. When the book first came out, people in China worshipped it as a bible but inspite, the rate of Chinese getting into Harvard, or other Ivy League schools has not increased dramatically. Anyway…I am not Chinese…but I sure found the little research interesting. That is what got me to the book regarding Karl Weter. And then that is what got me to early education, glenn doman, and then this site. So the end result for me was spectaculur, at least for me!!!

Hope that helps!!!

Hi
I had read the book before, serval times. The early education was done by the father. What the father did was similar to daddude. He spend alot of quality time with the son. He expose his son to alot of facts during daily conversation. The teaching basically work around their daily life. They will go for alot of outings and at the same time explain the surrounding to the son.
The father is very strait about the upbringing of his son. He believe if the son mix with the wrong company he will turn ‘bad’ so the parents actually ‘select’ the friends that he can mix with.
And he set a rountine for the son, he had to wake up at a fix time everyday no matter how late he sleep. The son had to finish his own chore even if they have helper at home.
They ‘punish’ the son if he was wrong.
And the father is very humble, he told everyone try not to praise his son.
It is an inspiration to read his book.

This is what I can remember so far. I had read the book written by his son also.

I personally feel that if father is involved in early education, the success rate will be at least double or more!

"This Karl Weter’s book was used by one Chinese mother who wrote “Harvard Girl” in Chinese. She followed Karl Weter’s principle " yes it is true. She read the book and inspired her to start early education with her daughter. I don’t think she follow the book exactly as some of the method already updated. What I mean is that you have to alter it to work for you and your child.
And if I did not remember wrongly, this book was found it a university’s library and it also inspire one or few professionals to start early educational with their children. And his children enter university at a very young age. ( It was long time ago as well)

This is all I can remember now.

Forgot to add, the father is very good at promoting logical thinking for this son. He didn’t give answer right away. He want his son to be a indenpent, self movitivated child. When the child was older, most of the time he read on his own, alot.

very intriguing! In all of my research, never come across Carl Weter – thank you!

Very interesting - one more item to add to my list to research.