Great Educational Toys?

Hello,

My daughter is turning 4 soon and I am trying to decide what gift/gifts to give her for her birthday. My budget is very limited, so the decision has to be the right one! So far I got her a world map puzzle, which she will enjoy as she loves puzzles, and which will give her some geographical knowledge too.

Perhaps some parents here can share their experiences of the best toys they bought for their children, which proved to be of great educational value. Would be very grateful for ideas. I need to mention that my daughter is delayed in her development, so anything that, in your opinion, is great for a 3-year-old, could do. Thanks!

My first reaction was Legos! I don’t know if that’s what you had in mind - but kids can learn a lot from blocks/legos, etc. You can also create a lot of math lessons using them. My second thought was a printer, cardstock, & laminator to make your own games - matching, etc.

Thanks, TheyCan

She does like lego and can make some simple structures. You mentioned you use these to teach math, can you share ideas on how you do that (as all I can think of is counting)?

I do own a laminator and make a lot of my own stuff - this was one of the best investments, totally agree with you!

legos, playdoh, lincoln logs, maybe an easel and some finger paint or other mediums. She can start cutting with safety scissors. Most 3 and 4 year olds really like to build and create things.

For the lego math - I’d try to show the numbers instead of count…like “Look! I have five! Now I have 10! It’s twice as tall”. You can also say, “Hey! My tower is bigger than yours. How many do I need to make it the same height?” You can also try to make patterns with the colors - red, blue, red, blue “What color should I use next?”. You could also sort out all the colors into groups. I also think kids are doing math in their head without knowing it when they really start designing things with Legos themselves. Hope this helps some!

Thank you, nhockaday, an easel is a cool idea!

TheyCan, thanks, I did not think about patterning, will bear in mind.

You could go to an appliance store and pick up a giant box then convert it into a play house. Maybe some smaller boxes could be made into a play kitchen or a doll house. She would probably have fun helping decorate everything. The dollar store is also a great place to pick up inexpensive craft supplies, books, puzzles and toys. Are you crafty and do you have time to make things? Tree blocks would be inexpensive and easy to make. If you are interested in more toy making resources and ideas I can track some down for you.
PS I’m also planning on hitting up the costume stores the day after Halloween to get some good deals on costumes for fantasy play.

What a fantastic idea with the playhouse, Twinergy! Thanks for that. I may not have enough time to do it for her birthday, but it is definitely a project I will do with her. I found this one on the internet:

http://www.makeclub.org/ideas/items/view/2251

Yes, I tend to do a lot of resources myself and would be grateful for ideas.

The Crafty Crow is a blog that links to hundreds of other crafty blogs with lots of fun ideas for kids.
http://belladia.typepad.com/crafty_crow/

Etsy toys is also great inspiration for handmade toys.
http://www.etsy.com/category/toys?ref=fp_ln_toys

Toy making forum where many of the Etsy artists participate.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=320

Thank you, Twinergy!

@ Twinergy, that was a really nice post… thanks tons… karma to you.

I have a great suggestion of something I have been using with my son since he was 3 1/2.
It is called Mighty Mind. The website is www.mightymind.com
It is tanograms, in other words different shaped pieces that you place on a picture.
It helps children develop problem solving, matching, hand eye coordination and more.
My son has Down syndrome and we have been working through the 30 cards in the kit for 10 months now.
He has completed 22. As he does one I write the date on the back.
The kit I have is not magnetic but if you could get the magnetic one I would recommend it.
It is a wonderful educational toy.