Good Report Card

My older child (age 6 + dx’d with a Specific Learning Disability) got a good report card from summer school. He started out being 2 yrs behind in reading just 1 yr ago before kindergarten started. Now 1 yr later, he is starting to read. The school system can’t give me an estimate of his current age equivalent because it involves an expensive evaluation. However it is obvious that he is catching up rapidly. I think he is no more than 1 yr behind his peers. It is a dramatic improvement. This forum has helped me keep focused. I get lots of ridiculous advice discouraging me from doing extra academics at home. This forum proves that younger children have the greatest learning potential. While others tell me just let him mature, we’ve been quietly plodding thru phonics and math at home. It often felt like one step forward then 2 steps back, but finally I can see it all coming together. I’m so proud of him - he has worked so hard and I just wanted to share his success with everyone on this forum.

Thanks for the support, Lori

That’s great to hear. I believe all kids can flourish if they get the right attention at home. Keep up the good work, and let us know of his progress.