Gong xi Gong xi Gong xi ni ya

Happy Chinese New Year to all the Brillkids team members and everyone celebrating the day today. Gong xi.

January 23 is Chinese New Year, and heralds the Lunar New Year of the Water Dragon, a once in every 60 years occurrence.
The dragon is perceived as a mystical and auspicious creature in Chinese cultures and this year is expected to bring prosperity and transformational change.

Happy New Year :smiley: !!!

Thanks NadisD! I made a flashcard for my daughter (I had to Google the pronunciation!) and used it to show my daughter China and Hong Kong on her map! My two year old is now a few more steps ahead of most Americans in their geography and culture lessons! lol

Happy Chinese New Year, everyone!

Nadia, it’s been a while since we last talked. Hope you are doing well… :slight_smile: By the way, if you are still looking for Chinese books to build up your collection, AsianParent.com is having their annual 20% off sale for Chinese New Year - just use the code ‘Dragon2012’ valid till Thurs. Jan 26. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

So sad but true… Our american neighbors came by, and our 2 .5 yo started showing them countries on her floor map. It was fine and all when she was talking about bigger or more known countries. Then she comes to our guests and says, can we play a game? The lady ( obviously relieved that we have a “normal” child that wants to play and not just talk about geography) says “yes, what game shall we play”. So my daughter all excited to have a new “game partner”, not just me or my husband, says, “all right, we will play map game – you find Yemen on my map, land your airplane there and then tell me what country you want me to fly my toy airplane to” Sad to say, my 50 year old neighbor did not seem to even hear about Yemen, much less able to find it on the map … And my daughter was not diplomatic enough to change the subject, but was simply disappointed the lady did not want to play :blush:

Kerileanne99 , Indian food is THE BEST in my opinion. We lived in Indian area for a while before we had kids and I never had better food in my whole life ( and I am very picky eater!), please share some nice recipes as you learn.

We also do different international dishes often, and making it into educational experience, – talking about country it is from, why it is possibly a national dish there ( some ingredients are growing there, etc), my husband is a musician so he tries to have some music to go with our occasional international cuisine. Mostly something simple, expromptu, but kids love that.

Thanks Nadia for the explanation :slight_smile: It looks like this year could be good to all of us . Looking forward to it ! :biggrin: Happy New Year everyone.