Going to live in Switzerland for 3 mnths

Is there anyone on the forum that lives close to Lucerne. We will be there from May - July and would love to connect. Also, could anyone suggest Swiss bits for me to start teaching my son? Any play schools there for total immersion? Would love some advice. Thanks.

You would need to chose which language you would like to “immerse” into :smiley: German, French, Italian and Rumantsch are four main ones… Beautiful place, by the way and I am sure will be a great experience! Even though I noticed that German and Italian are more widely spoken in bigger cities, but that might have just been coincidence, :biggrin: Have a great time

I am not from Switzerland, but a European neighbour country and been many times in Switzerland. As Skylark already told you there are 4 national languages, more can you find on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_languages.
There are French speaking region in the west and German speaking region in center and north, other minor region is Italian in the south and very small Romansh speaking comunity. But I would like to advise you strongly that in German part mostly they speak many strong dialects that is quite hard to understand even for native German people, more you can find on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizerdeutsch

As to French, my teacher studied French in Switzerland and she said that after studies native French people laughed and smiled when she spoke. It is not exactly a dialect spoken in French part of Switzerland, but pronounciation and vocabulary differs a bit.

So before you send your kid to some school, find out what language and what dialect they are speaking.

HI all

THanks for the input. You are all 100% correct. We are staying in Lucerne which is the German side and one of my best friends here speaks Swiss/German but like you say - it is virtually its own language. Still we know what little sponges our kids are and I am hoping Christian will pick it up asap. I was asking if anyone in the forum is there as I would love to connect with like minded individuals and of course, would love a crash course of bits ;). Thanks again for all the thoughtful insights. Anna, where are you? Do you think we could meet up?