Glenn Doman's Teaching Method - Help

Hi all,

I’m baby boy is 4 1/2months old now and i would like to start the GD method for him.
I’m a working mother and during weekdays, my baby is under my baby sitter’s care.

Every night, around 8pm, i’ll visit and play with him till about 9.00pm, which he’ll has his feeding that time.

I have a few question here:

1. is it ok for me to show him the flash card through computer (using presentation file) instead of cards? As i found there is some comment that computer /tv is not good for young babies’s brain development (due to 2D images)
  2. currently i read, rhymes and sing to him everyday. If I start the GD methods for both words and math, will it be too ‘much’ for him?
  3. For words and math, shall i do it both one at the time in a day or interval?

Please advise. Thanks a million.

Hi chewb ,

Actually your baby is willing to take more than what you plan to teach him.
You can do the english and the maths flashcard at the same time just one after another. The vcd’s and computer slide shows also can be shown. In fact you can use all these three methods for your child. Maybe in the afternoon or evening your sister can play the vcd or computer slide show for him and when you are back from work you can use the flash cards. variety are also important to hold on to their interest and concentration.
In time to come there may not be any flash cards!!!
Good luck!!!

It is fine for your baby to view flash cards on the computer. It is much faster than paper flash cards, so your baby won’t be viewing the monitor for very long, and he’ll probably be more interested since it’s faster.

You have to take cues from your baby as to what’s “too much”. Every baby is different. Most babies love lesson time as long as you keep it fun and make it interesting. You can do as much as you want as long as your baby seems interested. If he starts to look around or fuss then it’s probably time to stop the lesson and try it again a little later. He may be more receptive on some days and may not be interested at all on others. Don’t stress if you can’t get much done one day; there’s always tomorrow! Just know that your baby is going to benefit from everything you do, no matter how little.

The same goes with reading an math. You just have to follow your baby. He may like doing them together, or he may want you to wait a little while between lessons.

Hi ladydragon7 and nhockaday,

Thanks for the guidance and advice.

but one point i’m confuse here: the GD lady in M’sia did call me last week and she did tell me not to show my baby any pictures togather with words at the moment as the baby will be more interested to pics than words.

I have the YBCR flash card with me whereby the is pictures behind every words. In this cards, should I show him the worrds only, forget about the pictures? or show the pictures as well after the words? or show him the pictures in later stage?

Hi Chewb,

I would like to thank you for posting your questions because I was wondering the same thing (video / pc slideshows) for small babies. I had read that tv may cause autism and I was worried and have not started DS on videos yet. (My baby is 9 month old, but 3 months prematured. Preemies may be more prone to autism/ahdh) Thanks to the previous posters for their advice too. I plan to start him on the slideshow soon. Will use the trial version of LR to see if he likes it.

Chewb, if you don’t mind, can I have the contact for GD in Malaysia? I have been trying to search the net, but the number listed in that site is defunct.

Hi Sunshinebaby,

Sure. The number is +603-8945 7122, you can look for Lily who called me last week.

Actually I leaft a message in their web and they return a call to me the next day :slight_smile:

R u Malaysian as well? where you staying :slight_smile:

Thank you Chewb. Yes, I’m from Kuala Lumpur :slight_smile: I’ve contacted the lady. The math kit is RM1k+ and the Encyclopedic Knowledge kit of 24 sets of 10 cards is about RM3.5k!

Hi chewb & sunshinebaby,

you can show pictures but not together with the words. If possible try introducing pictures when your child is about 1 yr old or more. but if you want to show him pictures also do it separtely. If you are doing 2 session a day than 1 session show him only words and the 2nd session show him only the pic. Yes the GD set is quite expensive. are you guys staying in K.L? if yes which part?

Hi ladydragon7,

thanks for the advise. then, i know what shall i do next then. can’t wait to flashing the cards to my baby, hope he’ll receive well and showing me the bored face :stuck_out_tongue:

i’m from Melaka, and sunshinebaby is from KL :slight_smile:

Dear Chewb,ladydragon7 & sunshinebaby,

Just join this membership a day ago, i also knowing abt GD few weeks ago and found the the GD center charged quite expensive. Have anyone signed up the GD program in Malaysia and what you found? What is d different comparing GD program vs this little reader learning system having in this site ?

Need advise… many thanks.
:smiley:

Hi bok,

It doesn’t have to be expensive-this is what I was able to achieve, with each of my three children, using card and marker pens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d_K4Lhk6w4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnKBzka49fc

Chris.

thanks chris. will give a try on this.

So Smart…How old is your kid chris…when did u start showing cards for him

Hi Sashimani,

Please see http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/sam-reading/ for a response to your question.
I started a little later with Sam’s two sisters and was able to achieve similar results. My son is now 12 years old.

Chris

So how does he do in school now?