Glen Doman Method- Questions

Hi,
Hopefully someone can give me some help.
In Glen Domans book on how to teach your baby math, he says that we would begin to show the child dot cards from 1-100 and after that there is no need to show then more (for the quantity regontion aspect) however, he says that after 1-20, you start to show them equations… well then what happened to showing them dot cards up to 100…?
Again, in regards to quantity regonition, he says to have two sets of cards, 1-5 and 6-10, showing them each three times a day. And after some day, then begin to shuffle hem together and still have 6 sessions daily??? My qestion in regards to this is can I just have three essions a day for this and show her 10 cards at once?
I hope what Im saying makes sense…
And… Where do find the sitckers?? I would like it, too, if I could find a variety of stickers…

Thanks,
Brittany

I can understand your confusion, sometimes you don’t see the forest for the trees - he’s introducing so many concepts at once :slight_smile:

The idea with the math dots is that when you have retired 1-20, you show one set of ten dots and add a second set of ten equations at the same time. So instead of 10 cards 3x daily, you have 10 dot cards and 3 addition equations (or at least I had three to start as I showed all three numbers of the equation, making 9 cards) 3x daily.

Of course, you add/subtract the number of cards according to what your child likes :slight_smile:

The problem you had with the 1-5, 6-10 cards is that you misunderstood what he meant by shuffle together. Show 1-5, then show 6-10, then take all ten cards, shuffle and split into two groups (you might have 1,3,4,6,10 in one group and 2,5,7,8,9 in the other for example). The idea is that rather than the more limited set of variations you have by shuffling 5 cards, you make it a better random selection by shuffling ten cards then splitting into two groups.

Hope this helps :smiley:

I used bingo ink bottle to make the circles instead of buying stickers. Cheaper and Faster.

Great idea! I bought a silly amount of stickers :tongue:

Hi Brittany,
teaching math with Doman is not always easy but totally worth the effort! The tips you got so far are really good. However I think a key to ease and success is how old your child is. I think the book touches on this point too toward the end somewhere. If you let me know how old your child is I could maybe offer a bit of advice on a safe and easy road for you two! - thought my own kids with it and some others too. :smiley:
The dots: I personally used the cork of a wine bottle and 2 bottles of red stamp ink on a piece of felt. Make sure your “stamp” is not bigger than 18mm radius, and your paper is 30x30cm (or A4 if that is more standard in your country / I’m in Europe)
Hope this helps!

I used printed black dots.

I shuffled each data set separately. It means, once I show 13254, next time 53421.

well then what happened to showing them dot cards up to 100...?

it is expected that your child will become bored. but you never know before you try. let’s start and see what your child prefers :laugh:

If you want you can have just 3 sessions, but show only 5 cards, not 10. It’s very easy for babies of 8 months to get the amounts. Don’t imagine your sessions to be long! they’re only like 5 seconds - and it’s still 3 sessions, just each are broken up into 2 mini ones: you don’t need to wait half an hour before you can show the next 5 cards. So like everyone says here, your first session is: 1,2,3,4,5, and about 5-10 seconds later 6,7,8,9, 10. Session 2 the same day: 4,6,3,8,1 and few seconds later 5,2,10,9,7. Session 3 the same day: again reshuffle the 10 cards and split them into two groups. Now, the “few seconds” can be: you crawl over to the other side of the room, or you drink some juice, or look at some other cards (like bits or reading cards), or whatever, it can also be 30 min if so happens. :slight_smile:

For simplicity I wouldn’t show equations before finishing the quantity cards - except if your little one really buys into the dots. Just go through the dots till 100, then start the equations. If you feel you need a bit more challenge, you can do a bit of problem solving after passing 60 or so with the cards: like “which one is 53?” to choose between 53 and 24 for example.
Hope this made sense… :blush:
Doman is totally worth it, and there are many ways of doing it! :smiley:

When I showed dot cards to my 4 - 6 months old, I usually had 3 - 5 sessions per day. One set per session. After 6 sessions I introduced new cards. To keep records on how many sessions I have had, I developed my own system. I kept a paper stripe with my cards and after each session I teared one line.