GD educated 5 yo losing focus on studies - please help!

My friend has a 5 yr old DD, who learnt EK and words through GD methods, when she was between 1 and 1 1/2 yrs.

She is now in KG. Since she knew everything whatever teacher teaches her, she is so bored all the time. She doesnt want to write like her fellowmates. If teacher asks her to do work she does only when teacher insists her to do… for example, she will scribble fast if asked to do classworks…

The child has tremendous memory…but when she was given homework for 4 days, she didnt want to do… she feels sooooo bored about education. now she is so hyperactive, that she loses focus on learning anything…it is difficult to make her sit in a place for more than 3 minutes… it is difficult to make her listen to any talk she gets so hyper, that she wants to leave the place… she is now sort of unmanageable…

Does any of your kids who got early education behave this way?

What will you do if your kid who already knew what he learns in school and is bored?

There was not a pleasant atmosphere for this child while growing up, because my friend had constant trouble from inlaws.

I told her to take her out more, and give more time to play and less time to education. Is this ok? or is it that I m asking to stunt the knowledge - that is not what i want…but I dont want to give a wrong advice in upbringing for such an intelligent kid. I thought more play would interest her in studies even is she focuses less time.

Also kindly tell us more ideas about POSITIVE AND GOOD UPBRINGING. What are the ways to calm your child? How is it possible to get back lost focus?

I don’t have personal experience,
bet I liked this book
http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Kids-Poor-Grades-About/dp/0910707871/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258614761&sr=1-3
Why Bright Kids Get Poor Grades And What You Can Do About It: A Six-Step Program for Parents and Teachers. Dr. Sylvia Rimm.
“Millions of gifted children are failing to reach their potential something Dr. Sylvia Rimm calls underachievement syndrome.”

Here I learned that children need some competition and challenges.
Imagine that you are a runner, olimpic medal winner, and now you have to crawl together with crawlers and to homeworks of this level. how would you feel and what would you do?

Teacher MUST give her another tasks and homeworks which are challenging for her.

Mirra,

How long did your friend actually teach the little girl? From what you said, 6 months is only a short period of time and I guess that may not necessarily have anything to do with her behavior pattern. Perhaps, could it be the family situation?

Would enrolling her in a Montessori school work? That way, she can direct her energy toward playful constructive activities and also simultaneously learn without pressure. Just a thought.

Questers.

FrukC I shall suggest that book to my friend.

Questers, I meant she started that time… She did training in GD method for more than one year from then. She first enrolled in montessori but now in a different board…

I hate to admit it but this is a common problem I keep hearing from parents with children who learned to read very early. I keep doing flash cards with my little one and there is no doubt that learning to read at 2 years old is easier than learning at 5 years old but I don’t know if it means the child likes it any better. A lot of early reader parent say the child does like learning and reading better but probably just as many kids love reading and learning who learned to read much later.

As a matter of fact I wonder if the child who learned to ready early, before they even realize they were being taught and before they even knew how to feel the excitement of the learning process, misses out on that first time thrill of success that 1st graders find so exciting and that they feed upon in later grades and can always look back on and remember. I guess I just wonder if feeling the thrill of learning, in first grade, at a time when a child understands what’s going, has more positive impact on their future learning rather than them not even being able to remember how they learned to read. Especially, when you consider that they all eventually wind up reading and comprehending at the same level shortly after first grade. Which child was the first grade classes more exciting for and how does that excitement affect their future?

You mentioned there are problems at home. An unsettled home home environment can definately effect how a child acts at home and in school.

If her home environment is not the cause or is only part of the cause then
using the information about barriers to learning at this link might be helpful http://www.appliedscholastics.org/learning_barriers/learn_strategies_3.php
I have had much success helping students of all ages with these simple study techniques.