Gal is not interested in Math

Hi all,
My daughter shows clearly that she is not interested in learning math especially dot math. She seems interested in learning words as some flash cards illustrated with the images hence keep her attention. However for math, everytime i showed her numbers or dots, she turned away. when i studied, i was not good at math. I hope that my gal will like it. Anyone has any idea to keep her interest with math? Thanks alot

My daughter never took to dot cards and we didn’t have LM then (she’s 4 now) so we just played games with counting anything she thought fun and later did basic addition and subtraction, we also took walks pointing out numbers on houses as we passed by for numeral recognition. You can also teach shapes as an early maths concept, have her play with a clock, measure things with her body, fingers, feet etc when she starts walking - all that is also math as are pattern recognition (get her to help sort socks or other laundry, string beads in a pattern of colours and so on), bake with her and let her pour and measure in the bath. If you see math all around you she will too and be more likely to enjoy it.

My son LOVED LM. I wasn’t sure whether to get it, and we watched all through the ten day trial in two days and I gave in :slight_smile:

Then he lost interest a little. Now he doesn’t seem interested at all. I think the problem is that we did the doman method for numbers and touched on equations, and it takes nearly 50 days to get to the equations in LM - at first it was new and interesting, but he knows the numbers and we’ve only done two days of equations.

Then I downloaded a Little Pim set for LM. Boy did that get his attention! He sits shouting ‘Pim’ at the screen the whole lesson! I don’t know how much he’s paying attention to the lesson, but anything is better than nothing, I just have to remember to go through the sections before hand and select Pim on most of them. I leave one or two for variation, but he loses interest if Pim doesn’t make an appearance!

Try taking a favourite charcter for maths. If you are using LM, this is easy. If you are using cards, it is going to take a bit of effort (maybe stick to numbers 1-20, or even 1-10 and do lots of equations). I can’t believe the change its made for us. Those dots must get a bit boring, after a while!

Hi Mummy Roo,
Hi again!.. well, I’m facing the similar problem as you with my DS (22 mo’). Initially he was very interested in LM (I can actually play it continuosly for him, and he still used to ask for more), but then I got gung-ho and intro’d Shichida method to him via LM, and as it plays the equations part fairly early, my DS started losing interest in LM… sad!

Soon after, he started losing interest in Shichida too!!! Not too sure why, we do play math games at home, like counting his Cheerios, counting while walking/ objects, etc… but LM? no way… he’s only interested in shouting the names of objects flashing on the screen rather than actually watching it… Now I only play LM on an alternate day basis… still no improvement.

I want to try the Little Pim you were mentioning… how and where did you download it from (via LM)??? Let’s see if anything changes…

Thanks in advance!!!

Mummy Roo,
found little Pim icon sets… will try it with DS tomorrow, and hope it works!!!

You can find some intetesting method to help your daughter for math. My DD has been doing math online from a website called beestar. The worksheets are problem-solving type, good to help kids thinking and free. Math is now DD’s favorite. Hope it helps.
Lisa

I recommend to skip quantities and go to equations. He is young enough to like addition :slight_smile: