Funnix reading program for free

I used firefox with no problems. But with the workbooks I needed to use explorer. Contact Funnix support line they are very helpful

No luck :frowning: Tried Firefox, explorer, and google chrome … none of them worked…

Susan K

The files are too large to run from their website. You must download them. I would recommend saving the install files as well in case you need to reinstall the program because the links are only active for January. I took all the installers, workbooks, guides and the extras, plus a copy of the email they sent and burned them. I don’t know if I’ll need the back up, but I’d hate not to have it if I did.

FWIW I used firefox for everything and it worked fine.

I was trying to download it in the past few days with little luck. A window advising me to choose where to save it would pop up and the download would not move anywhere from that point. Yesterday I managed to download the first set but was not so successful with the second lot. This morning I finally downloaded the second set. So I guess, you just need to keep trying.

Thank you for the link, heath!

Once it’s downloading, how long does it take? Is this something to get going at night time because it will tie up the computer for a long time? (have high speed)

My downloads fluctuated between 200 and 320 kb/s and each file took between 15 and 45 minutes doing them one at a time. But I also had the online radio playing and was reading email. lol

Mine took about 15 minutes each, but, as I said earlier, only after many unsuccessful attempts.

Is anyone using this?

We did the first 9 lessons, I think. And I found them to be painfully slow. Or maybe just not exactly where we needed to be? I’m not sure. I keep expecting us to be sounding out words soon, but we still aren’t. I think in the last lesson, we did “no”, but that was it.

All the same, my 4-year-old constantly asks to play “Phonics” (I suspect it’s mostly cuddling in mommy’s lap and getting to use the computer, but it’s good all the same. :slight_smile: ). I can usually redirect to Starfall though, which I find to be a much better program and it’s always free.

…but I will admit the worksheets and the little walkthrough of them are neat. Except the worksheets are not too terribly interesting.

Maquenzie, I did a little searching and found the “accelerated” schedule to use this program. It skips the first 10 lessons, which as you’ve seen are useless and only does select portions of lessons 10-25, I believe. I teach/tutor reading to 3 elementary aged children (my siblings) with reading troubles and though the older 2 aren’t crazy about the program. I’m determined to put them through both levels, using the accellerated schedule.

I have a 9yo sister who reads on first grade level.
a 7yo brother who I taught to read last summer but didn’t read regularly and his skills are slipping like made
and a 5yo brother who is learning to read more slowly and at a more relaxed pace than the 7yo. I think that all of them could benefit from Funnix, and if not, of well, I think its an awesome program and will use it when and how I can or not.

I’m not wasting my time or ink on the worksheets. All of them are beyond those, but the reading book is slowly being printed for level 2.

I haven’t printed out the worksheets yet. But my daughter watched the first few lessons and lost interest. She didn’t like it. So we’ll try it again later. I’ll just continue with our Monkisee and Brillkids and I’m sure things may change. I hope so because its a free program and I’d hate to not use it. I’ll agree the worksheets aren’t very inspiring. I’ll have to see what my daughter thinks of them though. She does like worksheets most of the time.

Have you looked at starfall? I think it’s more engaging.

I tried to start my brothers out on Starfall last year at 6 and 4. They liked the ABC section for a couple of days but then lost interest. I’ve tried to get the 4yo to use it again more recently but they prefer book phonics, I’m going to take some time to look through the more advanced sections and may have them go through them…

One valid complaint about Funnix is that you can’t adjust the speed of the program at all. Lessons take 20 minutes because thats how slowly the lady talks and the letters light up or whatever. grr

However, Funnix is extremely systematic and thorough and its what my struggling 3rd grader needs because she never had a strong foundation in phonics.