Frustrations of school

Have to have a whinge. Anyone else experiencing the frustrations that come from having kids in school?

I got a letter from the school the other day, telling me my daughter had not handed in homework and it was 4 weeks late.That she could still hand it in and get a pass, but it would pull her grades down. And if not handed in it would be Ungraded, and I presume be even worse for her overall marks.

I wrote back to the school, stating that telling me when it was 4 weeks overdue was not kosher. And what am I supposed to do anyway?? If the school do not let me know what homework they have and when it is due, how am I supposed to know if it is done? Not to mention, how am I to ensure it is handed in? Once the kids get to school that is their (the kids and the schools) responsibility. To only find out about homework when it is a month overdue is their stuff up, not mine. I sign her diary every week, but she doesnt write much homework in it. They ought to be policing the diaries, making sure all homework is written in there. My Grade 4 son has homework to hand in on certain days of the week, so I can police that. Older grades, the predictable structure isnt there. It reinforces my determination to homeshool the younger ones.

And so does the peer pressure. Everyone has a slide phone, can I have one too? Flip phones are daggy. Mum, I need a bigger jumper. I’m not going to school today cos wearing a shirt without a jumper on top is daggy. I’m not wearing that sports jumper, it’s too big and it looks silly. (I think it’s good to buy a size bigger so you get longer wear out of everything). Mum, I got a demerit for wearing a grey cardigan to school, but I had to, it was cold. “Why didnt you wear the black jacket I’ve bought for school?” No way, they’re daggy.
AAAARRRGGGHH!! My hairs are going grey.

And I wont even mention the reoccurring lice plague. Yes I will…I spend a fortune treating their hair, not to mention pulling out eggs is time consuming. But other parents arent doing the same, so their kids just re-infect everyone else.

OK, whinge over.

I am so glad I home school. :frowning:

Okay, breath in; breath out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHFDa9efCQU

I heard a rumour for many years, that Bobby McFerrin had committed suicide. That he couldnt not worry nd be happy. I heard lately that he’s alive and well… is he or isnt he?

It was a rumor. He is still alive.

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/mcferrin.asp\\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qOQHB_V2g0

Nikita,
which state are you in? here in Texas, kids usually get printed worksheets from the school inside a file folder. So the parents know what’s for homework and whether it’s completed or not. Little kids I think get those folders once a week and older kids more frequently. And I am talking about public schools here. But the situation you stated here, it seems the parents have no say on how and if at all the homework will come home!! :huh:

Nikita,

Don’t get frustrated. I used to teach in a public elementary school in California before my maternity leave, which was less than a year ago. lol Anyhow, now that you know your child have not been turning in homework, you as a parent need to take the responsibilty to contact the teacher. You can leave the teacher a message and I am sure he/she will return your call when they are able. Also, you can request from the teacher a daily progress note for your child. Ask her to state whatever you are interested in knowing in the form, such as behavior, classwork, etc. Your case would be homework. Therefore, everyday you would get a note from the teacher stating if she has turned in her homework daily. You then would sign the note and your child would return it the following day to the teachers. This way you and the teacher are communiticating on a daily basis. Your child also would know if they do not turn in their homework, discipline would be take place right away rather then 4 weeks later. It is the responsibilty of the parent along with the teacher to take further actions and discipline for the child who does not turn in their assignments. You have to discuss with the teacher on that. Yes, four weeks to notify a parent about a child’s missing homework is too long too late, but as a parent you also have to make sure they are completing their assignments nightly. Check their homework when they are done, check their backpacks to make sure the homework is in their backpacks in the mornnings, and when you drop them off remind them again to turn in their homework. Let your child know you are keep in touch with their teacher and would know if they are not completing her assignments.

In California, it is sad but the teacher and student ratio is 1:20 in k-3rd grade and 1:30 in 4-6th. It is hard enough to manage 20 0r 30 kid’s activities. We are now increasing class size because of the buget. The state are laying off teachers and combinning classes. Which means that parents now would have to be even more aware of what is going on with their child in school.

Oh, I have a sample daily or weekly progress report somewhere in my files. If you would like a copy let me know. :slight_smile:

Good post and advice from you trulypearl. Your suggestions are good. Being a teacher, u have simplified and stated it so nicely
:slight_smile:
a karma point of it’s way … :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I Live in Victoria, Australia. Usually my girls are a year level apart, but this year they are in composite classes so both are in year 7/8 but not in the same class. There are 23 in each class, though we are allowed up to 30. One child aways gets homework done, the other never seems to have any. Year after year I’ve talked to the school at parent teacher interviews, but they insist she gets her work done in class. And the school has a policy of not giving much homework, so the kids can relax, do sports etc after school and go to church and youth group on the weekend. So I’m used to seeing them do nothing homework-wise. I dont like this as when it comes to year 11 and 12, they wont have practise in swatting for their VCE.
I have asked the teacher to email me her assignments. So far…no email. I’ve tried removing them from the school but unfortunately they always end up back there…(they’re too emotionlly attached to it).
And her school diary shows me her credits and demerits, but it is hard to take the demerits seriously, as they give demerits for trivial things, like stamping her foot on a rock. And last year she got 8 demerits and thus an internal suspension, along with many of her class who got demerits for the same things. I feel the school isnt encouraging them, it seems to discourage them, but due to my oldest one not coping emotionally with public schools I’m stuck there. Thanks for the advice though.

I agree in not giving too much homework since they need time to relax or invest their time in the activities they choose.

good lord! your school sounds super frustrating. demerits? stomping rocks? no wonder that teacher has no time to give notice to parents for children having trouble in school. they are spending too much time concerning themselves with a rock’s quality of life. there are no other alternatives?? you are also at a really odd time for girls and their ‘emotional’ states. gawd… i was a terror at that age and can only imagine what my girls will be like. you can work on those behaviors but you might just have to live through them for now. try not to let the school get to you.

No, no other choices. Kids wont leave the school. A week later, I’m asking if she’s handed in the assignment which she took to school (yet again) a week ago on her memory stick. The problem has been that I’ve been without a working printer for a while (lost the driver, couldnt get the downloaded driver to work), and she keeps misplacing her memory stick. She asked to print it out at school last Monday. Teacher said…“later”. Then the teacher got sick and a replacement teacher came in who says “no, print it out at home”. So I’ve had to get the printer sorted out…so tomorrow she’ll finally hand it in.
And I’ve spent a few hours pulling eggs out of the hair of a very spirally curly haired child…that is no easy feat. But She’ll go to school tomorrow and the critters will be back.