from flashcards to reading

I’ve been doing YBCR for months now with my 2 years old son. He can recognize every word and I’ve already gone through some new words but I feel stock as far as the next step. I always find a new book for him with short sentences in it and read it with him (for him) but I don’t know if its enough. I’ve just started to create 2 word flash cards but I’m not good as far as the list of the words. Can anybody help me please???
I don’t want him to loose what he already knows, or to lose his interest. I started to read Doman’s book about reading hoping to find the answers, but I’d like to know about your experience also. How did it work for you guys and how did you teach your kid to read.
Thanks for your help!
Stodd

We went through the same thing, DD couldn’t do phonics yet but refused to really read sentences.

Two word flashcards and short sentences are what helped her. I think books were too intimidating and she responded very well to homemade sentence strips written with bold markers in extra large font. They were similar to these but plain white, I don’t think the color matters though. http://www.amazon.com/Super-Bright-Sentence-Strips-ages/dp/B0014DU2QY

For example, I wrote “One Red Balloon” on one and drew a picture of a balloon. Then I made some with no pictures later as she progressed. Things like “I see a cow” and “There is a brown dog.” (She knew some other sight words based on the preschool prep sight words series and LR by that point, so I had more words to work with than just YBCR). I used all the words she already knew so she would have confidence as we tried to combine them into a string of words.

She still cannot read a short book cover to cover yet, but will read some sentences out of books “word by word” if I point to each individually with my finger.

Now is an excellent time to start working on phonics! Can he decode new words yet? If your child has not picked up phonics intuitively from YBCR (and he has already mastered the YBCR words), it’s probably not going to happen “naturally” and you need to do some specific phonics instruction. I like the songs/chants on youtube (there are lots), you can save them to your computer using www.keepvid.com. Also, check out the LeapFrog letter factory and of course the LR pattern phonics files. Preschool Prep Co (a favorite of mine) has videos to teach upper/lower case letter names which work fantastically (my kids love them but some find their kids are bored by them. You should be able to find a sample online). They are also due to come out with Meet the Phonics before the end of the year, I can’t wait. The My Montessori House DVD’s are also great for teaching word building and blends.

Lastly, if you loved YBCR, check out Your Child Can Read on Amazon. It’s made by the same people and it’s the next step in the series. It’s really great!

Good Luck!

Once my daughter knew a lot of flashcards I started sticking them on the wall in 2-3 word sentences/phrases and then gradually lengthened the amount of words til she was reading 5-6 word sentences and then beyond that too - obviously by this stage she also knew a lot of the dolch sight words too.

My daughter has only really started reading books in the last month although she has been able to well before that. Part of her problem was the text size in the books - she needed the large flashcard size for quite some time and even now the books she is reading have larger than normal print size.

There are a number of issues associated with moving to books and depending on the child you may to address all of them at some point.

1. Reading left to right - I used the flashcards and had to keep reading to her pointing left to right. I also ran my finger under words in books I read to her
  2. Print size - as pointed out above
  3. Number of words per page - start with very few words per page - my daughter has been able to read books with one to two words per page for a very long time and she enjoyed these, but put a whole sentence in front of her and she balked - even now I am pointing at each word to help her though if she has the book in her own hands she can read a full sentence - she just needs a little bit of help
  4. Capital letters - these should have been taught with the flashcards although most children will adjust if they know the capital letters as well as the small letters.
  5. The effect of pictures - we talk about the picture often before and always after reading the words and then I draw her attention back to the words or ask a question about the picture where I know the answer is in the text and then ask her to read the text to get the answer.
  6. Pace - My daughter still does not read a whole book in one session - while she can at times manage quite a lot (half a book) I have had to keep it slow - it all depends on your child though how much they will read once getting to books and how much the story draws them.

And finally use other options to get your child to remember the words - put them in meaningful contexts - I get my daughter to read recipes or shopping lists and if I see the word on an advert or billboard then I point it out to her so she can see they are everywhere.

I did start my daughter on some phonics and she seemed to click eventually and can do basic phonics now - the blending took a bit of time to get right and then she clicked. We are starting to teach grade 2 phonics now - the vowel combinations and consonant blends but mostly I am teaching her by uncovering words left to right for her and just reading the combinations for her and then letting her do the final blending. Maybe later I will see with lists of words whether she has learnt it all, but mostly she is picking it up jst by hearing it rather than me drilling it.

Thank you Ladies for your help, I got a lots of great ideas from you. An other question: how old are your little ones? When did you guys started the teaching process? What else (what subjects) are you guys doing with them?
Thanks again,
Stodd

Hi my daughter is now 3 years old (born September). I started showing her flashcards for reading at 12 months of age and she knew the phonetic alphabet by 18 months and was reading sentences shortly before turning two. I did struggle a bit through the twos as she was independent and needed new challenges a lot and different ways of doing things - our “programme” had to be adjusted regularly and we took many months off as she was learning other skills too - I read to her a LOT - anything and everything she was interested in and we used Starfall and other computer programmes too for variety. I started phonics sometime when she was 2 but not sure when and she learnt to blend in the last few months.

As for other things we are teaching her: she is getting mouse control now and I have let her type and play memory games both with cards and also on a cellphone. We are doing some maths though not formally at all - most of it is done in a context she can understand - measuring by baking, addition and counting with her toys or when swinging her on the swings, subtraction with food or toys, we also play maths games while in the bath and collect bottle tops when walking which has given her things to count. I am also now teaching skip counting starting with counting in tens for now (I have heard her count to forty, but think she can go higher if she wanted to) We are also now working on handwriting though her fine motor is not quite there yet - so mostly we do tracing and some writing worksheets, but not the letters yet though she will write some by herself. I also do a lot of drawing with her which helps me to know where her fine motor is as many shapes are coming up in her drawings now and she is drawing more realistically than just scribbles now. We also use a lot of different materials. She has learnt to cut with scissors too and is learning to ride a bicycle (with training wheels) I would like to have a better science programme for her, but she learns a lot of science when coming with me to work which she does sometimes and we look things up on the internet and do basic science experiments and talk about various things she sees - I use whatever happens to teach so if we have a power failure she learns about electricity supply and power and subunits and we go and look in the neighbourhood for whatever we have discussed. If we get a new cat she learns about that and so on and it sinks in better that way and if we happen to read something in a book we go and look it up (often for my interest) - like when reading Rapunzel we looked up about the plant and what it might have been and looked for pictures of it. Basically we just extend anything that is happening around us. And then we play lots and lots - and let her use her imagination as much as possible. I am having another baby soon too so she has been learning a lot about that too. We are also trying to teach manners and to think about other people, but that is quite hard with a 3 year old - she’s not bad, but she is still 3!

Sorry in a chatty mood tonight so you are getting essays :slight_smile:

What else have you been doing with your child?

Stodd, did you check this website? http://www.childandme.com/howteachbabyreadenglish/
They have lots of good Power Point with single words, couplets and phrases. Lots of Doman based material. It will save you a lot of time. After we were done with YBCR I start shoing her Power Pint from this website 3 times a day. When we were done with it, I bought YCCR. I take lots of books from the library. It takes time to find a good book and the letter size is not that big there but all in all we are getting there and my DD can read sentences now. I have about 15-20 books from the library in the house, she reads them all and I change them when the child is losing her interest in the book (1-2 weeks).

Tanikit, I enjoyed your chatty letter, that’s what I needed with little details…I’ve been trying to do different things too. I’m home with him and I want too do as much as I could: I do singing-dancing (usually for Hungarian kids songs), play- doh and drawing “lessons” every day besides the reading and the Doman Dots Method. We read books too, go to the library for story time once a week and also a singing/rhythm class once a week. We don’t really watch tv except some you tube for reading and the YBCR or the Meet the sight words dvds. And of course I let him play alone too- I love watching him, like you said with using his imagination. These things make me really busy but he has lots of fun. And I have fun too.
Floridamom- thanks for the website, it’s awesome!!! I will use it a lot! I’ve heard about YCCR and that will be my x-mas gift. I can’t wait. I also try to find books for him in the library with just a few, but big size words and we use them. He likes books.

Hi, I am not a native speaker - I come from Czech republic- and I´ve decided to teach my baby to read and also teach my baby English. In CZ we can attend English lessons for babies from 4 month. It has 45 minutes a week. I download many flashcards and I´ve read book by Glenn Doman. I teach my baby ( 6 month) only the words in whose pronunciation I am quite sure. I am afraid that I will teach her wrong information. But it is a question if a little bit unexact nformation are worst than none:-) I am going to prepare some plashcards also in czech. I am studying also a spanish, so maybe I"ll try to teach her also a spanish, but I haven´t decided yet. I am…not…we are at the begining but I am -and I hope my dauther is too- interrested in this method and above all english.

I am sorry for mistakes:-)

Markéta

Hi Markéto,
Welcome to the BrillKids fórum. I am from Czech republic, too. I I live in Rumburk (Ústí nad Labem region). I am soooo excited to see someone else from Czech republic interested in Doman´s methods and early learning education. :yes:
I would love to learn more about you. (If you want, you can learn more about me here: http://forum.brillkids.com/introduce-yourself/greetings-from-martina-from-czech-republic-(central-europe)/msg798/) It is quite an old message. :slight_smile: Actually I am pregnant - 3 days after due date lol - so I am expecting my second baby-girl very very soon.
Good luck to you and your baby and I hope I hear from you soon.
Martina

Use MS Word or Powerpoint and create simple sentences combining words your son already knows and new ones he doesn’t know. I’m currently doing this with my 2.5 year old daughter. She can read a lot of animal names and the sounds they make, so I show her simple sentences like The cow says moo, The pig says oink, The duck says quack, The pig is big, The cow is big, The rabbit is small, The mouse is small. YBCR and BrillKids teach a lot of nouns, verbs and adjectives but not conjuctions, prepositions and adverbs. They need to learn these to be able to read properly.

Also, focus on teaching phonetic sounds. Make Powerpoints slides like pig, big, jig, bug, rug, rag, etc. Use starfall.com to teach individual letter sounds.

Thank you again. Lots of good ideas! I’ve just started to create my own slide shows and my son really enjoyed them. I’m really happy!