French DVD's?

Does anyone know of any great French DVD’s for kids? I have Little Pim already.

Has anyone heard of Barbapapa? I can find their website, but can’t seem to order anything?

Please be careful with Caillou. My son and several of his friends are not allowed to watch it anymore as Caillou is very whiney and they were all copying him. Have you tried Muzzy French or even switching the language setting on Franklin or Dora DVDs?

We’ve got a great one called Lyrical French. Comes with a dvd and a cd you can print the lyrics. The dvd footage is very classy and the songs are well written and performed by quite talented children. I must say I preferred the German version though.

The songs are in English and French one line in French then repeated in English and vice versa. We used the German first and my husband and I learned so much German we were amazed. We still find ourselves singing the songs once in a while.

It covers a variety of topics eg animals, places, groceries, opposites, family, weather, and much more. It was really really cheap to $20 AUD two years ago. Might be cheaper if you’re from the States as that’s where they’re made. It’s won heaps of awards too.

Thanks so much Franca! Singing is indeed a GREAT way to learn a language and I will certainly purhcase them. Karma to you!

Hi Waterdreamer, I have heard Muzzy being spoken of in this forum quite a bit. It seemed to be for older children or am I mistaken? My Daughter is 17 months

Hi Waterdreamer,

I would be very interested in your opinion on Muzzy. I had intended to purchase the program but upon further research many of the reviews were quite negative and decided against it.

Some of the point were - bad story line, bad animation, indistinct voices - these were the ones that concerned me the most as for the amount of money you spend on it I could buy multitudes of other educational products :blush:

Leap Frog has this great game console for babies 9 months and over called “Little Leaps” unfortunately it’s a discontinued line for some reason. But they pop up regularly on ebay and the games are still easy enough to get.

The console acts as a remote control for your dvd player. The games are on DVD and come in two levels baby and toddler. The console can be reversed for toddlers.

My boy adores the games. The best thing is that the games can be played in English, French, German and Spanish. The voices are very good and the games very educational and age appropriate. Even if the child can’t follow the instructions there is no “wrong” simply a different result. Great learning experience by trial and error and eventually through listening.

It is a wonderful thing to watch your two year old follow instructions in German as easily as he does in English.

The best game we’ve bought him. :smiley:

Which kind of DVDs are you after? Cartoons types or educational dvds?

My son LOVES Muzzy. He’s five though. It’s terrible animation, but he loves it. I shouldn’t say terrible animation, reminds me of cartoons from when I was a kid in the 80’s. It’s similar to retro smurfs I guess.
Would I have paid full price for these? No way, but I got them second hand and we watch it a few times a week. If you can find them second hand jump I would consider getting them.
Some of my daycare babies like it, some don’t.

Franca,
I have been looking for the DVD you mention Lyrical French and Lyrical german but got no results. Is there a page where i can get information about them?
Thanks.

Sarah108 and TmS,

I bought Muzzy when my grandson was 3 years old. We have not been playing it for a while and he remembered and ask for it again. I consider it a good product and the advantage is that you can switch between 5 languages: English, spanish, german, french and italian.

I am satisfied with this purchase due to his age. On the contrary he does not like wathcing Little Pim too much, i think it is a little bit too slow for him and does not caugght his attention as Muzzy eating the jail bars.

May you shall consider it when your children reach 3 or more years.

Lol my son loves the part when they are serving food and the waiter throws everything at him!

I could not understand why they put that part, maybe for kids to learn about behavior?

My grandson keeps saying ‘You should not do that’
I ask the company and did not get a good answer but they mention that at least i see that my grandson knows what is a wrong behavior.

Hi Hypatia

I am preferrably looking for a good balance of the two - educational, but at the same time, some fun?

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I am interested in hearing more about Barbapapa - my Au pair said it was fantastic for her previous fam - I am so surprised to hear of the bad review?

2010 Bebes - great profile pic - is this your grandson? :biggrin:

I think my daughter may be too young for muzzy at this stage - she is 17 months and VERY Right brain - what do you think?

Franca, I have been looking for the DVD you mention Lyrical French and Lyrical german but got no results. Is there a page where i can get information about them? Thanks.

Hi 2010BEBES,
http://www.littlehills.com/Language/Lyriclang.shtml

They are fantastic we have the French and German and we learned heaps and love them still, great buy great value for money

Thanks for the link TmS, they look good and with the information i am sure they will add value to our process of language learning. I know a litlle french but are planning on continuing my studies.

Yeeeeees, :yes: :yes: he is my grandson, isn’t he ‘handsome’? He is adorable. Today we had an instrumental session. He play the piano, I accordeon, my son cajon and my mother in law (his great grandmother) the maraccas. We had a very nice evening.

Your little girl looks like a doll. What nice picture.
Yes, ii will not use Muzzy at that age. The cartoon like video is for 3 or 4 years old.

I ordered all four of the complete sets of DVDs from BabyBit and they are very well made - but expensive for what you get. They offer four languages: English, French, Spanish and Catalan. Each set of DVDs is set up to be shown 3 times a day, five days a week - Domain style. They teach math quantities as well (each lesson starts with math quantities and progresses all the way through multiple equations, numerals etc.) Excellent, no non sense, easy to use system. Definitely worth a try (especially for me since my LR and LM have been crashing almost constantly for many months now…)

I want to try the Little Leaps and Lyrical Language Learning!

Has anyone heard of any other children’s “computer” that teaches various languages - because I found one on line - Fisher Price or Leap Frog or…?? - and now I can’t find it again. It taught many, many different languages - not just 5 or 6 but a whole assortment. I will keep searching for it online…Thanks!

Hope I have helped.

James