For non-native speakers: using the foreign language in public

Hello non-native speaker parents!

I’d like to hear your thoughts and experience while in public. What do you do? For those going with OPOL, do you feel 100% comfortable about speaking with you child in another language in public?

Mmmmm… definitely not! Although not many people around here have an acceptable English level, I don’t feel comfortable using it in public with my children. In fact I don’t feel comfortable with anything related to early learning in public… Some days ago my twins (17 months old) started spelling a word they were seeing in a public notice board and all the mums around there were looking at me as if I were beating them… :confused:
I still have to find my way in relation to this…

Thank you NPLight.

That happens here too. There are a lot of people who seems to be creating a fairy tale environment and anything related to education is “pushing too hard”. So do you speak the foreign language only at home?

Yes, I teach them English with Little Reader (we are from Spain), and during the lessons I speak English. And at bed time I read to them in English and Spanish. But I would like to set some “English days” and speak English no matter where we are… I have to work on this… :wub:
I can also speak French, so I’m considering to start with it soon. I have to look for some resources while waiting for the French curriculum for Little Reader.

Good topic. I don’t feel comfortable speaking Russian in public (we live in UK), but I keep pushing it against my will. One reason is that I like my girl to be very outgoing (and she already is) but she doesn’t see the difference yet between one language and another, so she mixes them. And when she does – other people or children don’t understand her and I think she feels confused why they are not engaging with her when she’s trying to engage with them. Also – when we are not tet-a-tet and other non-russian speakers are present I think it’s rude to speak the language they don’t understand.
But if there is other Russian speaker present it feels perfectly fine to speak it in public, because we’re speaking between people who understand it.
I know it might be silly, but that’s how I feel.
I also can’t do OPOL as my partner doesn’t speak nor understands Russian, so if I speak Russian all the time to my daughter – this excludes him from the conversation completely, and that’s more than rude. I’m struggling a bit with what to do, but I hope it will work out somehow :smiley:
Completely agree with NPLight - people spring back from you when they hear you doing EL in public. My toddler (25months) loves shapes and cars and knows all major makes of cars and all (even difficult ones) geometric shapes, and loves spotting and reciting them, and their colors as we walk down the street and people look at me as if I was beating her up!

I speak so far to my son only in English at home and outside too. But if there is someone in the conversation, I change to Portuguese most times. So far I had no problem with this but I still don’t fell 100% comfortable. But I think I have to respect my son’s culture. If in some months he shouts in public something in English, I’ll have to answer in English, after all, I’m giving him this education.

I speak in French only to my son and I do so in public even though my French is not fluent as a native speaker. I am the only source of French for my kids (we live in the US and hear only English in our external environment). At first I felt awkward speaking in a language that I learned long ago in high school and hadn’t spoken since. But then I decided that my kids will take their cues from me and if I show confidence in a foreign language, then they will learn that it is fine to speak in a non-majority language in public.

When we are with other parents and children, I still speak in French but I will translate for the other kids and parents. Most parents are really cool with this. If my son speaks in english, I nod to acknowledge what he had said and that I’ve listened to him. But I reply in French and use sign language to overcome any confusion he may have with the subtle nuances in either language. I also explain to the other kids in a fun way that we speak a language from a foreign land and that it’s fun to do that. My hope is to prevent any way for my son to feel out of place with other kids in as far as language is concerned. I want my son to feel that it is a normal thing to speak a non-majority language and that it is no big deal.

My husband does not speak a foreign language so at home we use english between us. I still always speak to my kids in French and translate for my husband so that he does not feel left out. Occasionally, my son will translate a word if my husband doesn’t understand something and if all else fails, he signs the word out for my husband. It’s cute.

So far, this has worked well. I don’t know how long we can keep this up given my own limited foreign language skills. He still prefers English as his dominant language but that is understandable given his environment.We’ll just keep on with our efforts as best as we can.

Gpdcepdc,

You are doing an amazing job!! Thank you for sharing your experience and tips!

This is great to hear gpdcepdc

Well, I speak in English with son in public. Its getting easier day after day. But if there is someone in the conversation, I change to Portuguese. I’m still not sure about this since a lot of people keep the second language in that situation, but I think this is the behavior my son should have too while talking to others, so this is the reason. But if there is someone close but who is not the target of my message, I speak in English anyway.

Sometimes, when there is someone in the conversation, I speak in Portuguese but then I have to translate to English to my son.

I am using similar rules in speaking in public like Mario. If there is someone with us and doesn ´t speak english we use our native language. I do not translate from one language to another since she understands both languages.
Now she asks other people if they speak english when they join us. She knows that we have rules for using languages and tells me when is time to use the other language. It is so cute.

I only quickly translate if I ,by mistake, use the “other” language when I shouldn ´t.

Hello lelask,

I used Google translator to visit your blog. Thank you for your contribution here. How old is your daughter now?

Oh, did it make any sense after using google translate? lol I haven ´t updated the blog in a long time :blush:
My daugher is 3,5 months now ( you can always see the age of our lastest child above the avatar/picture)

It is great that you speak to your son in other language and I am looking forward to your updates.

Yes, it made sense :slight_smile: Of course there was some wrong translations but I understood the last post.