For my friends in America

I was at the dollar tree today, and they have tons of flashcards. They have a wide variety of different kinds with different characters. I picked up fisher price numbers (have quantity on one side and the number on the other), first words, colors and shapes and alphabet. Each pack has 36 color cards. I just wanted to share with everyone b/c they’re a good deal and sure beat making your own!

Those sound like great stuff!

BTW, are you all doing anything for Independence Day?

I’m taking Gabe swimming at my mom’s. Then we’re headed over to my aunt’s for a cookout. And then we’re going to watch fireworks and go back to my aunts.

Is the print on the cards large? Does it really have to be? I am just getting started with this and everything says the print should be really large to catch the baby’s attention, but all the cards I see have normal size print. Does it matter? Thanks.
Amanda

I’m not sure how large it’s supposed to be, but the flashcards I bought are a normal size, and Gabriel enjoys them just fine.

Are these cards any different than the ones from Target?

yes. the ones at Target are more encyclopedic knowledge type (the ones in the dollar bin at least). They are intended for older kids. The flash cards at the dollar tree are things like shapes and letters. They are intended for pre-schoolers. So it depends on what you’re trying to teach your kids. I am teaching reading, basics and encyclopedic knowledge to my son, so I use them all.

I’m slightly confused now. My little one is 22 months now. Should I just be using shapes and letters or should I use ones with words?

What do you want to teach? I suggest starting with basics. What cards did you buy from target?

all the cards I could find from Target I bought. I figure if I can’t use them right now I can keep them for later. At $1, I couldn’t pass it up. I also got some from Walmart that say they are the most used words in beginner reading books. So far I’ve only used the little reader computer program, but since we’ll be traveling soon, I wanted to have flash cards to use on the trip.

There are a couple of different methods of flash cards. You can use them for encyclopedic knowledge (the more advanced ones, with detailed information on the back) or you can use the more basic ones for teaching reading (words on the front), math (quantity on the front) or general knowledge like colors, numbers, shapes, ect. You can do all methods or just start with one, if you’d like.

Here are a couple of links in the forum where we are discussing how to use the flash cards:
http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/question-about-flash-cards/
http://forum.brillkids.com/little-reader/retiring-flash-cards-(was-how-frequent-)-t549/

I didn’t mean to confuse you by saying what age level the flash cards are made for. You can use any of them at any age, but some are more appropriate for encyclopedic knowledge program.