Flashing YBCR words

Hi there I am hoping to flash my baby the YBCR words in French, Spanish, English and Chinese.

So for the starter set I’ll have 4 sets in each language, volume 1 will have 4 sets in each language etc. The words from each volume are not in ‘categories’ is this ok?

Can anyone suggest a ‘schedule’ of how to begin? Can you begin with 4 sets of words in each language on the first day? Can each set contain more than 5 words? Would you then retire one whole set after each has been viewed 15 times ie 5 days?

Any help would be great! Thank you!

Also when you download the YBCR files off Brillkids…they are lists of 20+ words which may be too much for baby in one sitting, is there anyway you can split this category up into mini playlists? Or did you have to manually type up playlists word for word? It gets a little tedious especially when dealing with mulitple languages! Thanks…

It all depends on the interest of your child and what they enjoy. It’s always best to stop early rather than let them burn out. Most people begin with reading in one language and build from there, but there is nothing set in stone that says you have to. If I wanted to introduce the words the way you are looking to do, I would probably show one at each mealtime and then add another session in either during snack time or before bed. If you tie your sessions consistently to other things that have to happen during the day, you will be more likely to stick with them.

Another option to to show during diaper changes, and just cycle them 1-4 again and again until they have been reviewed the desired number of times. (So if you have 8 diaper changes during the day, they will see each language set twice). You can get very creative in retiring/adding cards, but I typically retired a whole stack at once and introduced a new stack because it was easier for me and my kids didn’t mind. If the words are not in exact categories, it’s not a big deal. I always saw an added benefit to introducing word in groups (animals, transportation, etc) because it teaches the kids categorization at the same time, but it’s not 100% necessary to have a successful program.

In regards to splitting up files, you can create a new file and select existing words without retyping them in, but it would still be a bit of work. (let me know if that’s not clear for you). I would probably just see if my child enjoys the full files before worrying about breaking them up.