Flashcards for colors-what color marker?

I want to make flashcards of the names of colors, but is it ok to write them all in red? Will it not be confusing to have, say, yellow, written in red? I thought of black, but that’s equally not yellow! My dd is 18 months.

It would be fine, as it’s the word “yellow” and not color you are showing. The same as the word “tractor” is not a tractor. You can make it all different colors,if you like to, but the end goal is for the kids to recognize the shape and so be able to read it.
hope it helps :slight_smile:

Oh yes Glenn Doman books says to use Red Colour Words. But I read some other parents says to keep changing the font, style and colour just so the kid is not memorising a certain font but really memorising the words. Maybe you can start of with all red words then flash again with all different colours.

I made my child flashcards for colour with black ink on the same colour card as the word - that way she could learn the colour and the word simultaneously while the word was still really legible.

To be honest though I was just having fun and writing “blue” in red ink will be no more confusing than any other word in red.

The idea behind varying font and colors is this:

1. Keeping it varied and more interesting

2. exposing your child to different font styles and colors. Particularly important is the letter “a”, which is usually written differently than it is printed (that’s why we have comic sans font). This exposure therefore let’s your child figure out what is the essence of a word, and that it does not matter what font, style or color it comes in.

It’s actually a similar reason to why we encourage attaching multiple pictures to a word. Eg., different dog pictures will make it more interesting, and your child doesn’t end up associating the word ‘dog’ with a poodle (or whatever that particular dog breed is in that one picture).

I would actually avoid writing red in red, yellow in yellow, etc. What’s important is the WORD, not the color of the word. It won’t be confusing at all!!

The child will learn colors from day to day–I’ve never heard of a child, even one with crummy parents, who didn’t learn colors. So focus on the text. :yes: