Flashcard math program for older kids

Hi There!
I’m really looking at starting a Math program with my son. Flash cards seem to work well when it comes to reading and I was wondering if there is a way to teach him math using this method even though he is four? He has slight autism and work sheets and stuff like that related to math are of no interest to him.
I’m even considering trying the dots anyhow because I heard in Doman lecture that it depends on the age of the brain not the age of the child and since some of his development milestones are delayed he may be more respetive to this. Or should I focus on numberical flashcards??
Thank-you

I listened to a lecture from IAHP on Encyclopedic Knowledge and they said you can and should continue to develop programs for children even at 10 years old! I am certain it must be the same for math. You can teach all kinds of stuff with flash cards such as fractions, math symbols, numerals, equations, measurements and so forth. You can teach Roman numerals, telling time and all sorts of things. You can teach geometry with angles and right triangles and polygons and it goes on and on. You might want to look at a math book when you are out at Target or Walmart or somewhere like that and see what concepts you can teach your boy. I am sure you will have a bunch of ideas once you look through and see what is being taught.

Wow till ten! That’s good to know. Was that an audio lecture? I’d love to hear it.
I was thinking of introducing dots in a grid because he still seems interested in looking at the dot cards I received in the kit i ordered. Thanks for the advice.

Yes, it was an audio lecture and I ordered it from their website years ago. I don’t know if they still sell them. They basically said that your Encyclopedic Knowledge program can continue indefinitely and that you can adapt it for your older children. I was really excited to hear that because my oldest is 14 but there is still plenty to learn.

It can’t hurt to show him dots, so why not? I tried with my 2 1/2 year old and she never got it. I think it is great to help them understand quantity even if they can’t instantly recognize the quantities.

Another thing, you can teach your son to count by 1’2, 2’s, 3’s 4’s and on it goes. This will be helpful when you begin multiplication. You can also create a number line or hopscotch type of game on the floor to teach math. You can make squares that he can stand it and then you can show him a simple equation, such as 2+1= and then he can go to the number 2 box and hop forward one space and see what the answer is. I think that would be fun because it would make it active. You can do your skip counting this way too. Start on the number 2 and skip over each number and count out loud to learn 2,4,6,8…

So many things you can do to make math fun. Teach fractions with favorite foods. Cut them up to teach comprehension of 1/2, 1/4 and equivalent fractions such as 2/4, 4/8 and so forth.