Flash cards question

Hi! I am doing flash cards with my daughter. I have been trying to teach the words along with the picture, but when I do she gets bored and I have trouble keeping her attention. Does that mean she is not ready for the words? If I do the image alone I can usually keep her interest.

Thank you!

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but my guess is that you are going through the words too slowly. Simply say the word while flashing and flip to the more interesting picture card.

Another option would be to turn it into a game, stretch out the word with anticipation. “Doooooooooog” PAUSE and wait a second with a sly smile and then with exaggeration quickly flip the card to show the picture of the dog and say the name of the dog in an excited voice - “Dog!!” Then make a barking noise, make the dog move through the air, act like a doggy, etc.

Thoughts?

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I will give that a try!

I agree. Go as fast as possible. Use laminated flashcards because you can flash them much more quickly than card stock or index cards. M

Here is a video - & you can even go faster than this!

http://downsyndromeupupupandaway.blogspot.com/2011/05/fast-flashing-method.html

Someone already told me that you should practice about five card only at one time. Until the baby show a sign that he/she know the word then you can add the number of the card. It works.

We used 5 to 10 cards at the start but we did not wait until dd showed signs of recognition. We just showed them about 4 times per day for a week then replaced them with a new set. With the Doman method you would show new words every day & keep retiring old words a you replace them with new ones. I found this too confusing though so just did a new set ech week. Babies learn very quickly & can become bored if you show the same thing over & over.

We could tell that Dd was reading words by 15 months. At first new words came more slowly but soon she began to learn them faster & faster. T that point we started showing more words & got up to about 65 a week age 3 - & we likely could have taught her much more than that!