Flash Card Words

Hi everyone!
My due date is end of June and I plan to make my own flash cards for my baby. I am confused as to what kind of words should I include in these flash cards. Do I show random words or categorize them in different topics and then show them? Pls help!

Hi,

As per Dr. Doman, you can show it in categories, starting off with “self words” like baby’s name, names of his family, and his body parts. You can then move on to “home vocabulary” i.e. objects found in your house, baby’s possessions such as (toys, spoon, shoes etc), food, animals etc. Later you can move onto actions such as eating, sleeping etc. You can later move onto colors and other adjectives (like long, thin, short, big, dirty etc) which will help you form couplets which is the second step in the Doman’s method.

Happy motherhood!

Questers.

Thanks Questers! will make the cards according to categories, then!

Khush,

You can find a list of the words based on Doman’s book posted by Maddy in this thread

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/anybody-who-read-‘how-to-teach-your-baby-to-read’-plz-help-!!!/

I’m so glad you found about this during your pregnancy so you can get the materials done ahead of time. I’m jealous :tongue: lol

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions here. Most of the time some of us may be able to help you.

Joha! Thanks so much…I have downloaded the doc file… atleast I can start with making these words now! And there’s plenty of useful stuff in that thread…i really liked the website www.childandme.com…It has so much of info!
Thanks a lot!

also, don’t hesitate to use your instinct as your baby grows. you don’t have to follow one path (though it does help get things done in an organized manner :slight_smile: ) i have found that some of our most successful reading accomplishments have been with words that dd hears every day. ‘breakfast’, ‘oatmeal’, ‘bus’, ‘dog’… things that we talk about through out the day make it onto a list and onto a flash card (now LR). as your baby grows another year or so you will see how they like to ‘feel’ words in their mouths and how they like to play with them and that will help you decide which direction to go in.
do read up on the doman method which most libraries have or can get but don’t panic too much yet… you and your baby have a lot to learn in the coming months about each other and that is primary. then you will know the right time to start with the cards.

Hi Khush! :slight_smile:

Since you’re also going to be teaching your very young baby, you may consider infant stimulation cards first. Infant stimulation can help improve your baby’s attention span, memory, curiosity, and nervous system development. In addition, stimulating your baby’s senses will enable him to reach developmental milestones faster, as well as aid in the development of motor skills.

We offer free downloads of Infant Stimulation cards here in the forum. :slight_smile: To view them, visit this link:
http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?cat=69