First Art

Hello, I just got a copy of First Art-- Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos by MaryAnn F. Kohl. It looks like it is really going to be a lot of fun! Just wish I had read it earlier!

She has great suggestions, some of which are common sense but are those things where I go, “oh, why didn’t I think of that before?!”. For instance, toddlers often want to clean up in the middle of a craft when their hands get a bit sticky. Instead of rushing to wipe them down before they destroy your furniture, make this another aspect of your activity. Supply them with a soapy bucket and towel nearby-- although that could lead to a whole other set of problems ;)-- or a fat damp sponge that they can use themselves!

She also provides easy to interpret icons throughout the book that serve to designate “quiet” or “active” projects, adult prep time, whether you will need the afore mentioned clean up supplies, art clothes, group and/or outdoor activities, as well as “caution” for activities that are sure to need constant adult supervision because of sharp scissors,etc.

The author also includes some great ideas for easy things you can make for your toddler or two… such as a table-top drawing easel (made with cardboard), art baggie book for your child to display their fabulous creations, a mini chalkboard and a fridge frame just to name a few.

She does not limit her selection of activities to traditional “art”: children will benefit from sensory stimulating activities such as: Feelie Goop, Clean Mush and Easiest Bread Dough (that you can actually bake and eat your yummy creations)!

So far we are loving this book. Do any of you all have resources that you utilize for arts and crafts… websites, books, etc?