FDA Warning about Teething Medication

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/news/20110505/fda-warns-about-teething-medication?ecd=wnl_prg_052211

FDA Warns About Teething Medication
Main Ingredient Benzocaine Linked to Rare, Serious Disease
By Bill Hendrick
WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD May 5, 2011 – The FDA has issued a warning to consumers about the use of benzocaine, the main ingredient in over-the-counter liquids and gels used to reduce teething pain in very young children.

Benzocaine is associated with a rare but serious condition called methemoglobinemia, which greatly reduces the amount of oxygen carried through the bloodstream. In the most severe cases, the condition can be life-threatening.

Benzocaine by Various Names
Benzocaine gels and liquids are sold under numerous brand names, including Anbesol, Hurricaine, Orajel, Baby Orajel, and Orabase, as well as store brands. It also is sold as lozenges and in spray solutions.

The products are used to treat pain caused by teething, canker sores, and irritation of the mouth and gums.

The FDA says methemoglobinemia has been reported with all strengths of benzocaine gels and liquids, including concentrations as low as 7.5%. The federal agency says most cases occur in children aged 2 or younger who were treated with a gel for teething discomfort.

The FDA says people who develop the condition may become pale or gray, become short of breath, feel fatigued, confused, and lightheaded. It also may cause a rapid heart rate.

Immediately Seek Medical Help for Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of a reaction to benzocaine usually appear within minutes to hours of using it. The FDA says adults should seek immediate medical attention if symptoms show up after using benzocaine.

The FDA says benzocaine products should not be given to children younger than age 2 unless under the supervision of a health care professional. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends giving children with teething problems a teething ring that has been chilled in a refrigerator, or gently rubbing the child’s gums with a finger.

Adults who use benzocaine gels or liquids in the mouth should follow recommendations on the label of the product, which should be stored where it can’t be reached by children, the FDA says.

However, the FDA says labels of marketed benzocaine products do not, as of yet, contain warnings about the risks of methemoglobinemia.

The FDA offers these tips for parents:

If benzocaine products are used, watch carefully for signs and symptoms of methemoglobinemia, including pale, gray, or blue-colored skin, lips, and nail beds. Also, shortness of breath, fatigue, confusion, headache, lightheadedness, and rapid heart rate are symptoms of a reaction. If any symptoms occur, seek medical attention immediately.
Keep in mind that problems caused by benzocaine can show up after a single administration of the product.
Use benzocaine gels and liquids sparingly, and only when needed, and not more than four times a day.
Side effects should be reported immediately to the FDA Medwatch program.

Our son is teething now and has not shown any major signs of discomfort but we can see him moving his mouth in a way we can tell when a new tooth is coming in so I found this alternative teething medication that does not contain benzocaine. It is called Camilia
http://www.boironusa.com/newsroom/press-release-31.php

Thank you for information. As a rule, I would say, it is not safe to use synthetic medications with young children. Similarly to routinely using drugs in labor, the side effects and long lasting effects way outweigh temporal relief, and can cause serious problems.

There are excellent homeopathic remedies which can be used for teething. Also, many mothers used amber, since it is anti-inflammatory and helps with soothing teething pains. I have an amber necklace from when I was a child. My girl had it since she started teething and we had not experienced sleepless teething nights, her teeth came very easily, hardly noticed when some of them appeared. I did not had an amber necklace for our little boy, and I can definitely see a difference. We used homeopatics with him, and they really helped. Also letting baby chew on cold things ( like clean peeled refrigerated carrot is great natural “teether”), letting them nurse a lot for comfort, also helps a lot.

Wow! I’ve always used this on mine, and they’ve never had a reaction. Does that mean it’s safe to keep giving it to my 15 month old?

My son has never had any type or reaction to orajel. I have only applied it to his gums about five times. But now I do not feel comfortable giving it to him. I will probably buy the Camila product I mentioned because it is organic.