Favorite Children's books

As I tried to come up with a cute story I thought…What is your child’s favorite books? What are yours? My son loves Brown Bear, the No David! books and Moo, Baa, La la la. For older children my favorite are Have you filled a bucket today? Dot, Ish and Cookies - Little Bite size life lessons

What are your favorite?

what a great topic! Karma point to you, chispa.

Yep, the ones you mentioned (Brown Bear - and everything else by Eric Carle, the No David! books by David Shannon, and anything by Sandra Boynton) are definite favorites in our family. I’ll have to check out the others you wrote about - as those are yet to be discovered in our house.

We have also loved “What makes a Rainbow?” by Betty Ann Schwartz, “I love the Alphabet” by Dar Hosta, and “Ruby in her Own Time” (our daughter loves this one still, and my hubby and I really found it helpful to help us resist comparing her to all of her friends when she was younger). Although no one has ever heard of it, my daughter’s favorite book right now is “Gakky Two Feet” by Mickey Dolens. She also goes around quoting her favorite parts from the “Skippy John Jones” books. Ah, so many good books out there, so little time… happy reading all!

JT loves the very hungry caterpillar

Thanks for your suggestion Lawrencelb! I will check them out especially “Ruby in Her Own Time.” It sounds like one that could benefit my family.

We love Skippy Jon Jones! Yeah, I even get that one stuck in my head. Another one that is easy to get stuck in your head is Frog in the Kitchen Sink. My son recites The Very Hungry Caterpillar. One that I love to read right now as school starts is The Kissing Hand - very cute.

koala girl!

I love your stories! Maybe the next one is on racoons! :biggrin:

Books by Karen Katz are great too!

My son luv’s Caterpillar by Eric Carle

My older kids still love this one, it entertains adults too.

There’s a hair in my dirt, by Gary Larson. (author of The far side). About a worm who finds a hair in the dirt he’s eating for dinner. It’s from a princess that died saving a creature, and decomposed… full of morals about environment, great pictures, very funny.

Dr Suess (Green eggs and ham, Fox in Sox etc) and Berenstain Bears books are great. Very easy to memorise.

I loved the Berenstein Bears books when I was little. In fact, I need to get them from my mom.

I have all the Eric Carle books.
I have all the Sam McBratney books (Guess How Much I Love You series).
I love the illustrations for the Russell The Sheep books (Rob Scotton).
Mercer Mayer books.
Pat the Bunny, Tails (Matthew Van Fleet), and any other touchy feely books like them. These are great for babies. They love touching the different textures.
I also have some Frank Asch books that I liked from my childhood.

I have tons of books for Gabriel! I love getting ones with cute illustrations, so any time I see some, I buy them!

The story I loved as a child was Mr. Pines Purple House. It’s out of print now and they did a reprint, but the printing was not as good. It all about being differnt and how it’s okay to be an individual.

Sounds neat akgard.

I will also have to check out Frog in the Kitchen Sink (sounds cute!) and There’s a Hair in My Dirt (sounds gross in a good way!) :biggrin:

Our kids have all liked
“The Very Hungry Caterpillar”
“Each Peach Pear Plum”
“Rich Cat Poor Cat”
“Hairy McLairy” (all the series)
"Thomas the Tank Engine " (all the books)
“Thats not my Tractor” (touchy feely - there are several in the series)
“The Large and Growly Bear”
“Who Took The Farmer’s Hat?”

Have to agree with Mr. Pines Purple House. We used to argue about who got to read it! I have a new copy and its just not the same! My son loves the golden book Charlie. My daughter loves Goodnight Moon.

Chispa, I wrote one for you. Hope you like it. :yes: Have any other request? :biggrin:

Yes! I love all your stories!!!

My son loves elephants…any ideas for those?

Keep’em coming! :biggrin:

Thanks so much!

Check out the following books:

1. Helen Oxenbury
    Playing
    Clap Hands
    All Fall Down
  2. Peggy Parish - I Can - Can You? (a series of see and do books)
  3. Eric Hill
    Where’s Spot?
    Spot’s Big Book of Words
    Spot’s Birthday Party
    Spot’s First Walk
    Spot’s First Christmas
  4. Bill Martin, Jr. - Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  5. Eric Carle - Today Is Monday, The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  6. Dorothy Kunhardt - Pat The Bunny
  7. Dick Bruna -Snuffy
  8. Margaret Wise Brown - Goodnight Moon
  9. Dr. Suess books
  10. Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes
  11. Beatrix Potter books

My favorites (not already mentioned)
“Is Your Mama a Llama”
“I Love You Stinky Face”
“My Cat Won’t Eat Bananas”
“If You Give a Cat a Cupcake”

Where is the green sheep by mem fox
Possum Magic by mem fox
Dr suess books
Winnie the Pooh A.A. Milne

My husbands favourite book when he was a little boy was

Where the wild things are.

Which was read to him every night from the time he was 3 to 7 years old. As told to me by is parents who used to beg him for any other story LOL

For children who are a bit older
The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton
Famous Five enid Blyton
The Baby Sitters Club cant remember who wrote that.

Here are a few others I would add to the list:

The “Dear God Books” by Annie Fitzgerald have been a favorites for my family.
“Little Bear” by Else Minarik is a lot of fun.
The “Frog and Toad” books by Arnold Lobel are also favorites.
The “Carl” books by Alexandra Day are great picture books.
The “Franklin” books by Paulette Bourgeois have been very well liked.

As a child, I always loved the books written by Bill Peet.

And even though it has already been mentioned I would also give an extra thumbs up for the “Berenstain Bear” books.

As for slightly older kids I would recommend “The Boxcar Children,” the “Little House on the Prairie” books. And I really like Ruskin Bond’s books especially, “The Blue Umbrella.”

Wow! there are so many good books out there.

One thing in preparing your child for reading is spending quality time reading to him or her. If they see your love for books, they will copy you. Make sure you read the children’s stories that you love the best because they will see your enthusiasm and there is a good probability that story will become one of their favorites.