famous battles

Has anyone done famous battles as bits for history?

any ideas on what to use as the picture for these cards?

I am making 30 of them but i am at a loss for what to do for the pictures on the front… my bit work is all done on these and i will be posting them as soon as i pics to go with

anna beth

Pictures of guys blowing other guys’ heads off! Being run through with swords! Being impaled on spears! Wonderful visuals for the baby-to-toddler set!

lol

OK seriously if I were going to do this, I might try to make it sort of a game…the opposing generals and countries each have their own slide, then where it happened, then “Who won?” “England!” (and the general) or whatever.

So, for instance:
Battle of Waterloo [just those words on the slide]
Napoleon led the army of France. [pix of Napoleon and map of France]
The Duke of Wellington led the army of the United Kingdom. [pix of the Duke and the U.K.]
They fought the Battle of Waterloo right here. [map; perhaps adding: name of modern day country]
Who won? [just the words]
The Duke of Wellington and the U.K. won!

A lot of work, but otherwise I’m not sure there’s any way to make it make sense or memorable to a child. They don’t even know what a battle is…it’s a very advanced concept because it requires they understand what countries, wars, fights, armies, etc., are.

Yes same problem as the bodily fluid category I was considering. Not sure I want him looking at vomit, urine and blood etc, yet. At least not for a lesson. Maybe when he is a little older. Hate to scar the kid.

I agree, when it comes to teaching historical battles, often turning it into a game can make it most memorable for the children. I taught my nephews about famous battles when they were 4 and 6 years old. I made Character Cards for them (each one chose a character, for example one was U.S. Grant and the other was R.E. Lee in the Civil War). We had a large map and each had to mark which battle ‘their side’ won and the dates of the battle. Sometimes they would switch characters to make sure they knew all the facts well enough.

I think 3 or 4 years old is an okay age to start teaching about battles and such, before then it might be better to just focus on simpler geography and history subjects.
As patreiche said, “hate to scar the kid” :slight_smile:

ROTFL!