Facing problem in showing flashcards............please help!

Hi Everyone,

My child shows interest only in animals powerpoint slides since 5 months. If I try to show other flashcards or ppt slides, she refuses all the time. By seeing only animal ppt slides for 5 months, does this have any effect on right brain? How to make her see the hand made flashcards and ppt slides? She just want to climb the stairs, chair, and play. But doesn’t want to look at the book. Does that mean she is not interested in reading? Is it good to show the same cards again and again? please help!

My older boy developed a strong interest in Thomas trains since he was quite young. I couldn’t show him anything that wasn’t a train or Thomas related. I used that keen interest to my advantage by teaching him other things using the trains. For instance, I taught him colours using the trains - Thomas is blue, Percy is green, James is red. I taught him numbers using the trains - Thomas is one, Edward is two, Henry is three. I taught him alphabets using the trains - A for Annie, B for Bertie Bus, C for Cranky Crane, T for Thomas Train.

So if your daughter likes animals, use the subject to teach her new things - e.g. alphabets based on the first letter of each animal, numbers using animal symbols, facts about animals, world maps based on where specific animals live, etc.

I will like to give you some ideas, would you tell us how old is your child?

Same happened with my daughter between 6m and 13m (I had not try before she was 6m)
Just find alternatives,other ways to teach. It’s frustrating, I know…

Thanks ShenLi for the ideas. PY, my child is 11 months old. I would be glad if you could give some ideas.

My son wouldn’t watch slides until I slowed them down and added animations. I recently started making a slideshow that isn’t finished so it isn’t part of the free downloads yet. (I’m hoping to add a slide shuffle feature before I officially add it to the library. I can work it on my computer but I would like to have it automated, if possible, before it is shared.) I’m going to try to attach it here so you can see what I’m talking about and maybe try with your son. Do you have powerpoint so you can make / modify presentations or do you just have powerpoint viewer?

Ohh he is a baby!! I missed that! Now my daughter is 26 months old…she wants her way and became very demanding.just a typical toddler.
Anyways, my daughter had this facination for animals as well, so I made flashcards of lots of animals besides making some animals slides. I went to my local stores and bought real toy animals I got tons of them, we used to play(I think she in not interested anymore…she doesn’t ask for it)tha game match the flashcard with the animal. she loved this game…right after dinner she will ask to play with this.So far she knows and reads maybe 70 different names of animals en english and spanish.
Also you can approach that your daughter loves animals to make some math slides …like counting animals…different type of animals(pets,wild animals…etc)Also where they came from…like elephants came from Africa…Also you can talk about dinosaurs…types of them …my daughter had stages…after animals she liked to talk about dinosaurs…For easter we got her some dinosaurs…she loved them…so we bought several books of dinosaurs and she knows the names so far. Now she has the stage of mices, bugs and spiders. which being honest with you I don’t like it…these kind of animals scared me!!but anywas we got them real toys of this kind of animals too and books.
I will say get the most of you can from this moment. it is fun and I think is ok for your daughter to like animals(very normal) children think is very interesting the animal sounds,shapes and sizes, they are so used to see only people around them that once they see animals they find it so fun!
Hope this helps,