Extremely Proactive - What to do pre-conception

Hi! I am extremely proactive and maybe even a little bit too proactive. I am not yet pregnant but expect to have a baby 2014-2015. I keep reading that you should start preparing your body for your baby even before conception. I was wondering two things. First, where is the best place to go to get pre-conception information (about how to give your future baby the best start possible)? Second, when should I start gearing up and learning exactly what to do with my child once they are born? I am a busy professional that is also in graduate school at the moment and want to make sure that I start doing what I need to do and learning what I need to know with enough time as I am sure that I won’t have much time once the baby is born. Thanks!

One of the biggest things I’ve heard that they recommend pre-conception is to get into the habit of eating healthy. Do a detox if your body needs one. If you drink alcohol it is good to break the habit before becoming pregnant as it can take awhile to clean it out of your system. The same goes for any other addictive substances you may be/have taken. Make sure there is folic acid in your diet while you are trying to get pregnant as this is most important in the time period before you know you are pregnant. I don’t know much about what to do EL-wise except that the more you know and prepare now, the less you’ll have to do later. You could start collecting materials as it can be quite an investment. Good luck. :slight_smile:

Good on you for taking care of yourself preconception! There are some wonderful resources, I will post back here soon as I don’t have them off the top of my head. Cleansing and detoxing a year ahead is a great idea, best to work with an experienced naturopath in order to do this properly. Then you should make sure your body is extremely well nourished. You want to build it up with nutrients as best as you can.

Folic acid (B9) is very important, but there is an important distinction to make. Folic acid is the synthetic form of B9 and people with certain gene polymorphisms (MTHFR) don’t break down the synthetic form well and can actually become more deficient which actually increases one’s risk for birth defects or problems where the chromosomes don’t divide properly. So it is safer to use the natural form of B9 which is called folate, or some of the forms that are already broken down, called methylfolate or folinic acid. Thorne has a great prenatal using the safer forms of B9 and Seeking Health is a company that has a wonderful prenatal supplement with all the aminos and pretty much everything you need nourishmentwise.

As this is an old thread, let me know if you are still paying attention and I will find those other resources for you. Good luck and happiness to you!

Start on a prenatal vitamin early, make sure you are getting enough Folic acid and DHA like others suggested, stay healthy, engage in gentle exercise, and think happy thoughts. :slight_smile:

For during pregnancy stimulation, some things to consider:

http://www.light-hearts.com/Soul%20Bonding%20-%20Prenatal.pdf
https://birthpsychology.com/free-article/prenatal-stimulation-experimental-results#.VF3j-vnF91A (several books are mentioned on this page)

As everyone suggested it is important to take folic acid at least three months before conceiving. Ideally, consumption of 400 mgs of folic acid is required per day. Keap an eye on your weight and start some physical activities. Include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, calcium enriched fruits and lots of protein in your daily diet. Alcohol and smoking is Big NO. Be happy every time. It is good to avoid stress. Read this are for more pre pregnancy tips 8) http://www.momjunction.com/articles/best-pre-pregnancy-tips-mom_0022435/