Experiment: Rapid Flashing To Learn Soroban

Based on the positive results we got from rapid flashing games and videos, (Memory Magic, Babybit, LR), I tried to flash images of soroban quantities to Cammie. At first she tried to count the beads in her head but then I told her that her eyes are like a camera and she has the image stored in the “memory card” of her brain already.

Soon enough, she’s recalling the quantities accurately with a smile in her face. It’s so exciting for us because we have absolutely no previous knowledge of the abacus. We haven’t enrolled her in a school yet but we’ve learned so much in a couple of weeks already through this method. She now knows the number bonds of 10 and 5 (for addition, subtraction, etc) and can visually identify all two-digit quantities. This week, we’re going to try three-digit ones. Attached in this post are some of the soroban flashcards that we’ve used. Feel free to download them :slight_smile:

Wow, nadia - that’s amazing. Well done. What age is cammie again? And thanks for uploading the flashcards you used…(rushes off to the printer)

Hi seastar! You’re welcome :slight_smile: She’s 3yrs 4mos old.

This is an interesting experiment and I look forward to your updates.

Chris.

Nadia0801,
That is an excellent idea. Thank you also for the soroban flashcards. Do you know if there is a way to input these or other things into LM and/or if this icon set/prest etc is already available somewhere.

Also, if I were to do that, would you suggest to add them to the current slides as just another icon set or to do another separate category or something with them. I am totally new to LM and have only been using it 3 days.

Thanks so much,
Juli

Hi Juli! You’re talking about Little Math? I know there are free downloads of soroban quantities in Little Reader but not Little Math. LM can only upload icons that will be placed in a grid or in random order. I can’t see a way to export them to LM because it will show quantities in different placements, not on the rod of the abacus. But if have LR, I saw several in the downloads section. :slight_smile:

Nadia,
Oh wow, thanks so much! I didn’t even think of looking in the LR library, because I just associated the soroban with math. I am new to little math and had no idea how the import/export works yet as I have not experimented (only been using the trial for 3 days and just bought the full version). But, what you are saying makes total sense, and I guess the rapid flashing would be more flashcard-style so would be more in line with little reader, especially the way you can import there.

Again, many many thanks!

Hi Nadia

I finally had time to read your post. Could you please help and tell me (and I suspect others too) for which keywords or member names we need to search in the LR download section in order to find these Soroban downloads please?
Many thanks in advance!

Dear fellow BK members

I still couldn´t find those files in the download section. If i put in “Soroban” nothing comes up. Which member name should I search for please?

Thanks in advance

Try this: http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?sa=myfiles;u=6459 . There are 3 pages worth of free soroban slides for download from Chris1.

many thanks aangeles! thank to you I can download it again now :wink:

Thanks Nadia for letting us know. Cammie is great! I look forward to trying with mine.