Experience teaching baby to read 2 languages

My husband and I speak Russian and English to our 6 month old. I am about to begin teaching her to read but am struggling to choose which language. Was wondering if there is anyone who has taught two languages through the flash cards (especially two languages with different alphabets). I want to make sure I am not confusing her by introducing both. I have read Doman’s Teach Your Baby to Read, but unfortunately they offer no advice for teaching reading to bilingual children.

Also, I was wondering if any of you use the computer instead of flash cards. I bought the poster board to make the cards, but am wondering why I wouldn’t just use PowerPoint.

Thanks!

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/teaching-2-languages-at-a-time-(split-from-‘when-do-i-start’)/
hope this link will help you

Thanks for the link. I read through the posts, but it seems like more of a discussion on multiple languages spoken. I really would like some advice on teaching multiple languages for reading. Specifically advice on if I should mix the cards together, or have separate sets, keeping the Russian words separate from the English. Also how do you decide what words to teach in which language. For example, do I teach “nose” in Russian or English? How did those of you who are teaching both decide?? Thanks so much for any input.

I’ve decided to learn two languages separately with LR: five days polish and five days italian (first 3 categories (wild animals and fruits for example) in polish then I change next 3 (home and transportation) in italian, and I’ll back to fruits and wild animals or I can make new category.
Every day I make short presentation (categories or some poem) in english, french or spanish, and every day I play some songs in one of three lang. I think that if my son learn 1 or 2 words a day (in different language) it make about 400 words/year so it’s a great number to start learn languages later :slight_smile:
When he was 6 months old I’ve begin to listen CD’s in english, spanish and french too. Now I see that he can understand sample english but we don’t speak english at home (I don’t know english yet :wink: )
We read many books in different languages (english, spanish, polish, italian), it’s funny way to learn and translate togheter.

Hi MammaMia and everyone,

I’m wondering about the same thing !

We are bilingual at home (German and French). My son is going to be 2 years old in a few days and he understands the 2 languages (spoken language) perfectly. I’ve discovered Doman’s methods just 2-3 months ago. I’ve started teaching Theo to read German first with home made flash cards since a month now, I took just one language because I had to get used to the system myself. He seems to have fun with that… me too… :biggrin:

Now I’m starting English using “Monkisee Monkidoo” DVD and cards. Which is lot’s FUN !

I’m thinking about introducing French soon but I don’t know how yet… :huh:

I don’t speak French to my son because I wan’t him to learn my motherthongue (German)(we live in a French speeking enviroment and when my husband is home we only talk French all together) and I’m affraid to mix MYSELF up if I use the same method for German and French…

For German and English, I like the 2 different types of teaching because it is well separated.

Alenka from “www.childandme.com” told me to eventually write the flashcards in different colors or to choose different rooms of your house and decide that in the kitchen you only speek/teach/read in one language and so on…

We’ll see !?!

Hallo Mammamia! I am struggling with the same question! I am also Russian, my husband is Iranian and we all speak English, so my daughter, now almost 1 and a half does speak all three languages well for her age (more than 150 words, starts saying couplets and short sentances) plus a few words in Arabic since we live in an Arabic country. I have started using LR with her since she was about 6 months old, not very systematically, on and off, but she loves it. I decided to stick to only Russian and English for reading (for now) and introduce Arabic and Farsi a bit later, as they have similar alphabet. In the beginning I showed both English and Russian togather, but now I am also wondering that probably I should have kept them in separate sessions. That’s what I am trying to do now. I am not sure if she can read, she is scanning every word very carefully and she did learn saying a lot of words from LR, so it is definitely a big advantage to use it in any case.
I would like to ask other people, esepciall Maddy and KL to share their experience in teaching their kids to read. Also Maddy can speak Russian, I was wondering if she is teaching Nim to read Russian? What are the signs that they CAN read?
regards, leana