English Language for Non Native Speakers

I am in the US and I just wanted to say I am so impressed with people on this message board who had to learn English as a second language. I don’t have a gift for languages and I feel it’s important for my daughter to learn at least one other language besides English.

I was wondering what age you learned English and in what way (school classes, parents, self study, etc.)?

Thanks!

Hi!

Good for you that you are born in an english-language speaking country.

English language is part of our curriculum since preschool. But we seldom use it in our house that’s why I am not that fluent. :smiley:

The key, I think, is to use it everyday. Add words to your vocabulary and use it.

hi,

i am using english as a second language. basically, i learned english since childhood and the education departent made it compulsory to learn english since primary school. then , i continue my tertiary education in UK, and since that my English keep better and better.

The key to this is practice and practice everyday. I do sometimes talking with my baby in english so that she can learned two languages at the same time.

My first language is spanish ,I learned english when I was on high school, I am 26 years old, I’ve been in the USA 5 years, when I arrived here I could speak fine, carry a conversation and be able to understand others,read…etc, since I have been here I learned more and more, I have to say I want to learn more because I want to be able to speak it perfectly, I am working on it.
My mom always introduced me languages, she likes to travel and push me to learn more cultures and thats why she sign up for english private lesson for 4 years while I was in high school.

I’m a native Spanish speaker. I actually started to learn English when I was 22 years old. I have been leaving in the States for eight and a half years and I continue learning. I took some English classes in high school, but never really paid much attention to them (something that I regretted once I came to the States and didn’t speak a word) :wacko:. I took English classes for the first year and then I took some business classes. There is so much you can learn taking classes. You learn a lot more from people and in my case from my husband. I ask him to correct me every time I make a mistake and that definitely helps. :yes: I think I’m always going to have my accent and there are certain words that are very hard to pronounce for me, but I’ll always keep trying to improve. :smiley: