Encyclopedic knowledge: my way of doing it.

I don’t follow the Doman approach, my life simply isn’t organized enough for that. What I do is, for each new day I print out a page of facts on something I would like to teach like a country, an animal, a person etc. This page of fact has a date to remind me when I started teaching these facts. Then on my tablet, I will have a file with pictures describing this page of facts (not quite one per fact, just a couple of pics) or sometimes a video. Once a day I tell my baby the facts on the page conversationally while he plays, then show him the pics or video for that page, just pointing out things and chatting about them, not fast flashcard stile, more like paging through a picture book.

All and all I usually end up with almost 30 pages a day, going through these are a lot faster than you might think, and I try to spread them out a bit.

I don’t try and test or “give an opportunity” for my baby to demonstrate that he’s learning these facts, but to me it seems as though he’s more interested in the “fact sets” the older they get.

I know the hole point of the quick flash card technique is to involve the right brain and so on, but my baby never responded well to the Doman Method for EK.

What do you guys think about this approach?

Intriguing–I’d love to hear how it goes. My guess is that it will have some good effect.

Thanks for the encouragement DadDude, some days I feel like I’m talking to the birds and all my efforts are for nothing, but then I remind myself that at least hearing language and getting attention is good for the little guy. We’ll know how much he’s been learning once he starts talking better, I’ll post on it. :yes:

I must say, I agreed with your post on EK the other day, to me it sometimes feel as though the kids are learning rimes rather than facts, so I try and state my facts differently each time I say them. (Each fact gets repeated once a day for a month, so I probably repeat the exact same sentance many times though :confused: )

I forgot to mention that I many times pick facts from things I can physically show him, like a painting in our house, the neighbour’s car, the statue in town, etc. We also have a big blow op globe, so if I mention a country in one of my facts (or if the entire fact sheet is about a country) I’ll point it out on the globe (Will loves balls so the big globe is a favourite toy!)

There’s so much STUFF to download for LR, I’ve been showing him some EK LR sets too, but more with the idea of making things fun and to help him learn how to read.

This is how we were taught (homeschooled) from babies and I loved it. I hope to teach my son the same way! (Oh, btw, and to this day I have a brain full of the weirdest and most random facts. So do all my siblings. We rock Trivial Pursuit! :slight_smile: Sounds like you’re doing a great job!

Your method sounds great. I’m looking forward to reading about your progress with it.

Thanks, I’ll make a point of posting about it again next year, if there’s something positive to add by then.

Oh, please post about negative results, too. Scientists often neglect to report on their negative results, when those are often very interesting.

lol

okay, let me refrase, I’ll make a point of posting if I’ve got ANYTHING to add.