Encyclopedic knowledge - how do you make it Right Brain

Hi all

I definitely see the benefits of EK. However, I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions to keep it more Right Brain-focussed?

e.g. If you flash the images first (the whole set) without the facts, that’s right brain. But then when you flash it again to say the fact on the back of the card - that’s repitition and also it’s slower cos you’re reading the fact which makes it LB?

Any thoughts?

I don’t have an answer, but EXCELLENT question and I very much want to know the answer too! I know it’s best to keep the facts short, but that’s probably not enough to keep it RB.

I have some thoughts only about the art teaching. I made several ppt files (I will upload them soon) with paintings only, without any text. So I can flash them as fast as I want. I think, text is not necessary because people primary do not read texts in art exhibitions; they just enjoy.

Hi FrukC

I do agree with you to a point. But I think everyone’s experiences are different. For me, I LOVED History of Art, and I absolutely love reading art books and learning more about what the artist was thinking when he painted something, and learning the subtle nuances that are in a painting which I may miss if I just look at it.

I think there is no hard and fast rule for learning though, and I guess it would depend on the recipient of the information. What interests one individual may not interest another.

I guess there is no proper solution to my issue - other than flashing the images quickly to make it Right Brain, and then balancing the lesson with some Left Brain learning of the facts.

After all, it’s whole brain learning that we are trying to do with our children, not just Right Brain.

:slight_smile:
I think, it depends on age. Currently, my 5 months old will not learn history of art. I have such a feeling that I should not show any texts at all. I show him also ppt colours without names.

That’s a great idea, and possibly a good solution for me! I think when my children are younger, I can keep it stictly to the images, and as they get older, I could introduce facts. Good point!