Encouraging creativity

Hi All,

This topic came up on another thread - but I feel it’s really important and I’m sure we all do different things so I thought it would be great to share so we can swap ideas :biggrin:

I was asked

I know there is drawing and things like that but what do you guys do with your kids to enhance their creativity using music? I sing songs and rhymes, have instruments and make our own, play a lot of music too and my little one is a passionate music lover but i’m not sure what else there is that I can do to provide more possibilities to explore music? My Lo is a vivid music lover and any suggestions would be great, thanks!

We let our son play with many instruments and we don’t expect him to play them the way they are intended. We let him explore the instruments. Yesterday he was using my violin bow on my electric guitar (not an altogether pleasant sound I must say) he gave himself a big clap as he thought it sounded great. We encourage this sort of creativity by describing the sounds he is making and attributing themes or feelings to them.

Another game we play is the reverse of the old pattern repeat. So when he beats a pattern on the african drum my husband (the drummer in the family) will repeat his pattern back to him. We do this so that he feels that his ideas are good ideas, Wayne might also explain to him something like “Wow you did a flam - I liked that”. We’ve been doing this since he was just a few months old. You can watch Sabian and Wayne playing this game at http://www.acrodancer.com/sabian.html

The instrument I feel we’ve had the most success with was the harmonica. It’s one of those instruments that is difficult to master but anyone can get a nice sound out of it, even in the beginning. Sabian was always quite obviously aware that with the harmonica he was making “music” and he loves to create little (or sometimes quite lengthy) pieces on the harmonica. They’re great because the only skill they need is the ability to breathe and hold the instrument. We didn’t teach him anything and he worked out for himself that he could make different sounds with blowing than with sucking and that he could use his breath to control the dynamics. It’s also good for developing an ear for harmony as it naturally produces those intervals.

With the keyboard we play a similar game to rhythm repeat except that it has the added element of pitch repeat so I will sing back a phrase to him, sometimes just with “das” sometimes with the note names sometimes making up words. I might tell him his song was a happy song that made me think of sunshine or that he had chosen a minor key and that it made me think of cloudy days etc.

Our aim is to let him know that the instruments are a means to express yourself and that there is no right or wrong. We want this firmly instilled before he takes his first lessons in an instrument (probably in the next few months when I find a teacher I’m happy with).

As ex-music teachers (my husband taught drums, I taught piano, singing and guitar as well as dancing and acrobatics) we always gave our students impro time. I think that not enough music teachers give children creative time on their instrument and I think it is really important to foster the creativity alongside the scales and pieces so that the child’s improvisational and composition skills are always at the same level as their knowledge and technique. Young children are also far less inhibited in this so the younger it is fostered the more they can harness their techniques to create.

I look forward to hearing what other parents do :slight_smile:

TmS, these are some great Ideas I must give them a try. How old is your son? My daughter is only 13 months but i’m guessing she really loves music because she heard it A LOT while in the womb and still does. She prefers heavy metal over childrens songs, definately taking after me in musical tastes.

She has her toy piano, it’s her absolute favourite, she “sings” and “dances” along with the rythmns of the sound from the piano or her other musical toys and the music she hears from me. Do you know if they sell proper musical instruments specifically for young kids that you can buy online and shipped anywhere? instead of the toy ones that have their own built in tunes at local stores.

I’m not sure where you are from so maybe not familiar with Toys r us but they actually sell large proper drum kits for kids aged 3+ (France store, not sure on the others), I know my daughter isn’t 3 but I’m hoping to buy her that this christmas instead of paying triple the price for the adult sized one, as i’m sure no musician, but I can’t find any other types of instruments that are similar, they are all the really plastic cheaply made hand sized ones with its own built-in tunes.

I’m very interested in hearing what you all do, I’m hoping to get my little one into a music class as soon as she is at the appropriate age to be accepted, but as I recently moved to France, i’m not sure where to start looking :confused: So if there is anyone from France on this forum, please let me know of any lessons they may have.

Thanks

Hey nic31600,

My son, Sabian, is 26 months (gone way too quickly) most of the games I described started from around three months.My husband and I are musicians ( I do a bit of everything but mainly singer/dancer my husband is a really good drummer and dabbles at a lot of other things - he’s a natural who worked hard, I’m just a hard worker). I was still performing right up to five days before the bub was born, my husband had to leave a gig for the birth - just made it too :laugh:

That’s so great that she has a love of music and enjoys expressing herself to it too. I love watching children express themselves with music.

My little one isn’t particularly into children’s music either and he’s definitely a snob. His favourite bass player is Victor Wooten and his favourite drummer is a definite tie between Steve Smith and Thomas Lang (he’s got taste :wink: ). He shows a definite preference for Dream Theatre (I think it’s the odd time signatures) though loves opera as well but he wont tolerate bad music - he can’t stand listening to bands that aren’t tight and if he’s going to watch a solo demonstration he wants quality. Even as a baby he’d yell at you to turn things off (such as the Eurovision competition on tv lol)

I’ll check out Toys R Us for you on Tuesday and let you know re the drum kit. Our little one just plays on a real size kit (two drum kits - and a million other bits and pieces - is more than enough for one household) unfortunately it’s slowing down his foot work. My husband has designed an electronic kit for toddlers (pro standard as he’s a drummer who believes children should experience quality sound so they develop an ear for it) but we’re still sourcing a module that wont blow parents’ budgets but is still going to output good sound quality so it may be a while before they’re ready.

You can get children’s instruments some are good quality, some aren’t. Not sure about online stores though, if you’re happy to purchase an instrument you haven’t heard you can try ebay. So many parents buy their kids instruments and the kid gives up 6 months later and they’ve hardly used it at all usually good enough quality to let a toddler experiment with.

Great advice there, TmS, thanks for sharing! :slight_smile: