Empowering our children with sign(ASL)

This is a cute story my son’s teacher told me the other day.
My son goes to a bilingual daycare (English/ASL) The other day his teacher and I were talking about how great signing with children is. She started telling me a story about when she first started there she was in the baby room. Suddenly one of the babies who was still not able to talk yet woke up and all happy told the teacher she had a dream and it was about a train. How amazing is it this baby could share her dream with her teacher without being able to speak yet.
I just thought this was a wonderful story about how you can empower your child by teaching sign :slight_smile:

That’s amazing, my little son doesn’t talk much but he does sign some. When we showed him the ‘daddy’ sign he does it all the time now, but now with the sound dada added. ASL is awesome for LO’s, and for adults too, it works great for correction when we are at church or in the library. Instead of words we use sign for certain areas that are quite or loud, it proves to be more effective then me just saying stop, no, please don’t, etc.

My son has always been behind with speaking. I am so glad that I taught him how to sign b/c he would have had so many difficulties communicating if he couldn’t sign.

Signing is really great, not sure why my son seldom sign to me (been showing him baby signing time since 6mth old) Only recently he start to sign back to him. I can tell one year old is a big milestone for him :slight_smile: