Ella playing the piano at 31 months old

Thanks! :slight_smile:

In addition to the SM software program, I also use:

• flashcards of notes in 4 clefs for note-reading and ear training
  • magnetic grand staff whiteboard with magnetic notes and musical symbols for taking musical dictation and, later, for composing her own short melodies
  • SM flashcards
  • SM storybook (Ella has not appeared too interested in this one yet since it is also a coloring book and is in black and white.)
  • SM music CD of solfegge chants

HTH! :slight_smile:

Wow, encouraging! Well done, Ella!
Thank you for every info you shared. You gave useful ideas to choose from.

Amazing!

She is a gifted child, God bless her :slight_smile:

I showed the video to my son and he made me replay it- he wanted her to play ā€˜twinkle twinkleā€™ :laugh:

WOW this is amazing! Good job Ella :slight_smile:

And really helpful infomationā€¦thinking to have SM for my little daughter thou Iā€™m really music blind :biggrin:

Hi aangeles, did you purchase the home starter kit or the deluxe version?

Hi aangeles, any reson for choosing an electronic keyboard over electronic piano? My concern is to introduce DD the touch of the piano as early as possible. In your opinion, do you think there will be problems in future when switching from a keyboard to a piano?

I have the deluxe version. The main difference is that the home version has only 52 songs included (although you can purchase and download more songs individually from their website) while the deluxe version has their entire song library included (more than 300 songs). Also, the home version includes the piano key stickers, while the deluxe version includes the piano key stickers and piano key guides (in both solfeggio and alphabet names). However, the key guides can also be purchased separately from their website.

The main reason we chose a keyboard over a piano was because we really donā€™t have the extra space for a piano, plus we anticipate moving at least twice over the next two years or so, and a keyboard was more practical at this point. She will definitely be switching over to playing a piano in the future though, probably when we start her on formal piano lessons. I donā€™t think she will have any significant difficulty when switching to a piano later.

:slight_smile:

Aangeles and Ella! I was awaiting your results with SM, but I did not expected to see much in such a short time! What you have achieved is really breathtaking! You are simply the STARS!!!

Amazing! Thank you for sharing!

AANGELES,

I watched and read EllaƂĀ“s history and got very enthusiatic so that my 4y old child wants to learn and as you passed the steps we are going to start next week. Thanks a lot. and congratulations.

Great job, mom! For what itā€™s worth, I started formal piano lessons on a pathetic little keyboard that had 1/3 size keys. I actually did very well on it and the transition was easy for me.

Great job Ella! I always thought childrens hands were too small to play the piano so young, thats why we picked violin. But apparently I was wrong! Iā€™ll have to start looking for a used keyboard for my son.

Hi aangeles,

Super, I like the video very much!

I have one question concerning this software SM, for which I didnā€™t find the answer: We are not native english speakers at home, my DD doesnā€™t understand english. So is this software still good for us to use? Because, if I understand right, for example for do you have door, mi is mirror etcā€¦ Are the games all in english? Does my DD need to understand english to play that or is it sufficient, if I understand it?

Best regards

Oh wow thank you for sharing so much information. I love your list of CDs, I lost all mine before I had children but am motivated to replace them now. Give Ella a hug from me please I loved watching her play. I had no interest in teaching my son piano or music beyond note reading until today! I have a question though. What is the advantage to singing the do, re, meā€¦ Or learning it? I played a few years of flute and can sight read music , my 8 year old is having formal piano lessons ( with a wonderful caring teacher who makes it fun!) and neither of us has ever learnt the do, re, meā€¦ Is it for pitch recognition?
To the mums who want to teach their kids music but have no music skills themselves. Pick an instrument ( piano! ) go to the music store and by a beginners piano book ( I like hall Leonard piano solos) go home and have a go, they are very step by step. Then when you are confused book yourself in for a casual music lesson and spend your half hour asking questions! It truly isnā€™t as hard as those dots and stripes make it look. Your child will overtake you eventually and then you may need outside help but isnā€™t that the entire point! I have learnt piano along with my daughter by following what she is learning. I rarly attend her lessons as they are done during her school hours. I was surprised at how easy it is to self teach. I would have missed a few technical bits if my daughter didnā€™t pick them up but nothing drastic. I am off to check out soft motzartā€¦

Mandabplus3,

My country (Malaysia) learn music through alphabet and not sing do, re, mi. But I believe there are many advantages of learning solfege ā€œdo-re-miā€. My daughter and I sing solfege whenever she play using SoftMozart. It is a type of ear training and also train the child to memorize music piece when she sings solfege. It is not possible to sing when using the note letters C,D,E. One day, just for fun I play any note and she was able to tell me either do,re, mi and so on. This is what I meant by ear training.

Hi Lolobride,

As far as I know, the child does not need to understand English for him/her to use it. The instructions and curriculum are in English though so at least the parent has to know some English. I think the software is also available in other languages but I may be mistaken. Best way is to email someone on their website for clarification before you make such a big investment. As for the note names, if your child is not familiar with the English words they use, then you have the option of just using the alphabet names.

Hi Aangeles
Having just purchased soft Mozart I am very inspired again by this video. How is Ella getting along with the piano and the software now? An update would be fantastic thanks :smiley:

Aangeles,

Thank you very much for posting this video and a review of SM program!

Thanks to information that you provided and ispired by the video of Ella playing piano,
I bought SM program myself and only after been using it daily to teach my DD piano for 10 days I can see the progress already.
Just 10 days ago if someone told me that I will be able to see my daughter playing chords with her left hand, I would have hard time believing it.

I know, since heated debates here on the forum between Hellene (SoftMozart) and Chris (PianoWizard) that took place a year ago,a lot of people might feel reserved to give this program a try.
Please do not be! This program delivers results. I am very happy that I gave SM a chance!

Here is my DD playing Jingle Bells with her right hand on the 5th day after starting a program, now she plays way better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUn_QoiXL1U&feature=player_embedded#!

Here is my DD learning to play chords with her left hand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrqN0SOAzFU

I decided to keep daily updates of our progress with SM program on SM forum:
http://softmozart.com/forum/15-learning-experience/465-week-1-of-softmozart--toddler-28-months.html

http://softmozart.com/forum/15-learning-experience/571-week-2-of-softmozart--toddler-28-months.html

Now I can truly appreciate this video of Ella playing piano. She Is Amazing!

you made it.congrats.you finally proved little are not little they are masters.

Good thing, Nadia, you mentioned about that debate. Because of it I, too, had started to wonder if SM is worth it or not. But reading articles on softmozart site and seeing Ellaā€™s progress and the way aangeles is happy about it, made be think.
Both musicians have many years of teaching and experience using each his own method of teaching and software. They both work. One just has to see which one is best for them or their family.
If you read Helleneā€™s book ā€œYou Can be a musicianā€ or fragments of it in articles on her webiste you can understand her character and the attitude she had in that debate. Sheā€™s fighting for years for her ideas, and life has been tough for her, both as a student and as a teacher trying to create something suitable for anyone. A strong character and a good teacher in the same person, in my opinion. Who can blame her for fighting so hard for her ideas and ideals? I canā€™t. Maybe I would do the same if I were in her shoes. Reading her book I believe sheā€™s got a point. What she says is not only logic, but I also have seen it around me, in my education in school or in a friendā€™s musical education.

My DD is having fun with the solfeggioā€™s symbols and Helleneā€™s song chant. For me this is good news. A good way to start a wonderful journey that Iā€™ve been waiting for a year.

Congratulations to aangeles and Nadia and their daughters and any parent and child learning to play piano!

Andrea