Ella at 27 months singing Amazing Grace

This was a video we took of Ella singing one of her favorite hymns last month. I’m not sure if it’s relevant to early learning, but she was so cute (in my completely and utterly biased opinion :biggrin: ) I couldn’t resist posting. I typed in the lyrics of the hymn into LR and showed the lyrics to her while the song was playing and she memorized the entire hymn in a flash!

Hope you like it! :slight_smile:

so cute :biggrin:

OMG! She is so cute!!! You are doing an amazing job, aangeles!!! I love your videos and your posts. You are setting a good example for everybody here. I don’t have LR but will make a Power Point for my little one, I know she will love it. Thank you so much, aageles, for sharing. Karma to you for a great job.

She is just adorable! God Bless!

So awesome. I keep meaning to start teaching Lily the Lord’s Prayer verbally & in ASL, and this is totally the inspiration I needed. I am going to make the LR files for it tonight.

Maybe we will do AG next too, this is one of the songs in our bedtime song rotation so it’s already familiar. Will add it to the “to do” list.

Great job as usual Momma!

She is beautiful aangeles! Congratulations on teaching her such a wonderful song! Karma to you for sharing and brightening up my morning!

Oh wow - this is wonderful. Thank you for sharing! Is there anyway you could upload your LR file for the song? Thank you again!

Thank you, everybody! Glad you liked the video! :smiley:

Sure, I can upload the LR file. Although it will have the words to the lyrics only and not the audio because I could not figure out how to cut the song into the individual verses to synchronize with the flashing of the slides on LR. So what I just do is play the hymn on iTunes and manually press “arrow down” on LR as the song is playing. Hope that made sense.

So sweet!!! Your baby is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Aangeles-

What artist/version of AG did you prefer to use to teach AG? There are so many out there, I am assuming you used one that is really “clean” with pure vocals and nothing distracting going on in the background? I will download it in my Itunes too.

TmT,

I used the version by Cedarmont Kids. I bought the MP3 Download of their album Hymns at Amazon (16 hymns + 16 split tracks for $3.99), and I am slowly teaching Ella each one. Her current favorite is “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.” :slight_smile:

We also have their Platinum Bible DVD Collection which includes Sunday School Songs, Bible Songs, and Action Bible Songs. http://www.amazon.com/Cedarmont-Platinum-Bible-Collection/dp/B000BR9LY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1290564848&sr=8-1 The reviews of the DVDs are mixed but they serve our purposes of teaching Ella the Sunday School songs that we grew up with.

I’m afraid this question is going to sound somewhat dimwitted but still, you mention teaching the words to the song through LR, does it really work? I haven’t purchased it yet, and have shown some flash cards, but how do you know it’s working? One is not supposed to test afterall. Did you use other methods in tandem too?
Thanks so much,
Liza

I’m sorry, Liza, I’m afraid I don’t quite understand your question. Do you mean does LR work for teaching babies to read in general? or do you mean does LR work for teaching other stuff e.g. the lyrics to songs, etc?

Yes, sorry if it wasn’t clear. I meant in general, would you say that it has worked for you? Have you used, and would you advise using other techniques? I have started showing her flash cards, but she seems to be concentrating on taking away the ipad, and I haven’t tested her.
Thanks,
Liza

Hi Liza,

We started teaching Ella to read when she was 3 months old using the YBCR program and she responded positively and enthusiastically. At 6 months, we started using baby sign language with her while continuing YBCR. We found out she could recognize words when she was 9-10 months old when she started doing the actions of words like clap, wave, arms up, etc. as she saw them on-screen even with the sound turned off. Then, when she was 14-15 months old, I found out about Little Reader and she has been using it until now. She started reading phrases and sentences a couple of months after I started LR with her and eventually started reading books before she turned 2. So, yes, I would say a combination of YBCR + LR and reading lots of books with her worked fantastically for us!

If you’re interested, you could see some videos I have uploaded in the forum of how her reading has progressed from the time she was 15 months old, 22 months old, and 24 months old to the present: http://forum.brillkids.com/mgallery/?sa=search;search=aangeles;sch_mem=aangeles

You might want to check out the experiences of other parents who have also used LR with their children here: http://forum.brillkids.com/little-reader/little-reader-testimonials/

Also, there are many other parents on this forum who have used other methods to teach their kids to read with equal or even greater success so you might want to check out their methods too: http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/when-should-we-start-teaching-our-children-to-read-and-how/

Whatever method you end up choosing, do keep in mind that every child is unique and has a different learning style so it would be up to the parent to tailor and adapt the methods to his/her child.

Good luck and hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thank you Aangeles for such a friendly response. I will be checking out your videos as soon as I have some time. Funny you mention YBCR, I saw one tape and it seemed boring, maybe I’m wrong though, who knows what babies find entertaining. I haven’t showed the videos to her also because I wanted to start with Russian and I find that doing flashcards is easier. What I don’t really understand about these methods is how will a child go from only recognizing words you have shown before, to reading texts independently, that just sounds like such a stretch of the imagination.
In anY case, i guess I won’t know until we start. Thanks again,
Liza

Very cute vid!! :biggrin: